Is there any news on more Groucho?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Steve_Smith, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I remember reading on a old thread about the (IMHO - great and hilarious)"You Bet Your Life - The Lost Episodes" that there was talk of getting more episodes out..a "You Bet Your Life - the lost episodes Vol 2". I've been to the Shout Factory web site and there is no news, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything being planned or even worked on?
    On Amazon.com there is a May listing of a (I'm very sure its PD) release of about 3-4 shows and it got me thinking if sales were good enough on volume 1 for another volume of "lost episodes" [​IMG]

2. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I'd definitely buy a Volume 2 if they did it as well as the first one. It is one of my favorite box sets of alltime.

Paul

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

4. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

Ask and you shall recieve...

"TVShowsOnDVD.com reader Richard Wierzbowski recently wrote us to let us know Shout! Factory's plans for their next You Bet Your Life box set slated for release on July 27th, 2004. The first set was titled "The Lost Episodes," and this one is "The Best Episodes." They are trying to get masters for the following 18 episodes:"

Just four days before my birthday too, I know what I'm getting...

Paul

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Great news. [​IMG]
    Some additional info (with episodes):
    Debut of secret word duck 12/7/50
    Boots Bootsin 4/7/55
    Edouard Counard perfume executive 11/10/55
    Ray Bradbury 5/24/56
    Fanatic female Fenneman fan 4/25/57
    Francis X. Bushman 2/6/58
    Kuldip Rae Singh, John Guedel (show producer) 9/27/56
    Kuldip Rae Singh returns 11/15/56
    Organ Grinder with Groucho monkey 11/6/58
    Max Schulman 1/8/60
    Guedel, Dwan, Meakin 05/21/59
    Miss Finland 9/25/58
    Rocky Marciano 5/5/60
    Rocky Marciano 5/12/60
    Daws Butler 5/26/60
    Bobby Van, Melinda Marx 5/25/61
    Fashion model 4/27/61
    Frankie Avalon, Harry Ruby 6/8/61
    They're hoping to include an episode of the British version of the show, more "stag" reels, along with some other bonus features. Sounds like a great set for fans of the show.
    [​IMG]

6. Steve_Smith

[​IMG] WoW...this is great news indeed!!!! I have a good feeling that as long as these sell, then there is no reason to not see a release at least once a year.
    Thinking it over......for a 50's "so-called game show" [​IMG] getting a volume 2 brings a smile to this Groucho fan and here is hoping that we are all treated to even more [​IMG]
    The secret word is: Fabulous
    Now if we can only get the duck to drop down with free copies of Volume 2 [​IMG]

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Some more data re. GROUCHO MARX: YOU BET YOUR LIFE: THE BEST EPISODES (coming 07/27/2004) ..........
    >> "Eighteen of the greatest episodes from Groucho's legendary game show--including the first appearance of the program's trademark duck--are highlighted in this three-disc set. Along with his timeless wit, this collection features guest stars Phyllis Diller, Edgar and Candice Bergen, Joe Louis, Johnny Weissmuller, Frankie Avalon, Harpo Marx, and Groucho's daughter, Melinda. Also included are three Groucho Pilots --> "What Do You Want," "Tell It To Groucho", and the never-before-seen "The Plot Thickens". 9 1/2 hrs. total. Standard (FF; 1.33:1); Soundtrack: English (Mono); bloopers; outtakes."
    ---------------------
    More good news on this 2nd "Shout Factory" Groucho DVD set is the price! It's going to have an MSRP $10 lower than the previous September 2003 release! -- $39.98! [​IMG]
    You can Pre-Order this 3-Disc Collection now, for a nice healthy 40% Off the MRP, at www.deepdiscountdvd.com. [​IMG]

8. Steve_Smith

Thanks for the great info David [​IMG] [​IMG] I will be pre-ordering this very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Hmmm...I know this might sound like sour grapes or something, but other than spelling out the guest stars who were in the episodes we named, it looks like the same info as was posted here and here. We're still waiting on the press release, but Shout's not come through yet.

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Saving Groucho: http://boingboing.net/2013/03/12/the-day-my-grandfather-groucho.html One of the coolest stories ever. Good news guys, it's all on Netflix!!!

11. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    I don't do Netflix rental but hope these someday will be available for purchase as digital downloads. He is one of the greats for sure!

12. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

That is good news - thanks for the link Sam. I hope this means we can expect more You Bet Your Life on DVD...

13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

The one thing that isn't mentioned in the story is what happened to the 35mm fine grains and negatives. No one saved those from the cheapskate bastards at NBC. Remember, NBC stands for No Broadcaster Cheaper!