Is there any "easy" way to router multiple odd shaped drivers? (focals)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Dec 11, 2001.

1. I once had a document by someone here that discribed how to "easily" router hard shaped drivers. Jaspers don't quite work with small focals. I don't want to spend forever routering 5 drivers. Any suggestions/tips?

Many thanks!

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Don't know what shape you need to do, but the most repeatable way is with a template and a pattern bit. If you can explain the shape or post a link I can get more specific. But basically, you make a perfect fit in a piece of scrap MDF large enough to clamp on your finished piece without the clamps getting in the way of your router base. With a pattern bit in your router (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_patrn.html), and the template firmly clamped on top of your work, simply plunge down to your desired depth and route in a CW rotation.
    Pete

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    If you're talking about small holes, you can use a large Forstner bit or hole cutter (preferably with a drill press). If you're talking about drivers with square mounting plates then you can do the following:

Place the driver on the enclosure. Clamp a straight board along each edge of the driver's mounting plate. Remove the driver and cut the hole using a pattern bit (bearing on the top of the cutter). The clamped boards will act as guides. Make sure the pattern bit radius is the same as the corner of your mounting plate.

Another method would be to place the driver and mark the cutout hole with an X-acto knife. Use a router freehand to hog out the hole and use a chisel to cut up to the edge.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Like Pete said, make a pattern. I've used double layer masonite, which worked fine. Tak your time cutting the pattern hole, but you'll have a pattern tha will last a long time.

5. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

Plexi works great as a pattern too- harder than masonite or MDF, and you can see what you are doing. Sharp corners can be cleaned up with a chisel.

Markd