1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any difference between the Canadian and US DVDs of Princess Mononoke?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

Tried a search, but couldn't find any threads specifically about this movie.

I noticed the Canadian DVD is from Alliance/Atlantis. I know that sometimes their discs are different in Canada and often omit special features.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the Canadian and US discs?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Haven't heard about any differences, the US disc has Japanese/English/French so it should be the same
    if they eliminate any extras, there's really nothing worth keeping [​IMG]

3. Rain

Rain Producer

Maybe I should elaborate a bit.

IMDB says the US version contains a "featurette." When I looked at the Canadian DVD, I couldn't find any indication of a "featurette" being on it.

Also, the Canadian version doesn't specify on the packaging whether it is anamorphic. I know many older Alliance/Atlantis titles simply omitted this from the cover, but I'd just like to make sure it is.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The featurette is just a crappy "look at all the famous people" HBO type special. Honestly there's maybe 10 seconds that's decent [​IMG] Maybe you guys got a better cover, as ANYTHING is better than the US cover

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    The Canadian edition appears to have the same material as the US edition. All language and subtitle tracks are present and accounted for, and the transfer is indeed anamorphic. Even the self-praising crappy featurette is included.

The best option appears to be the original Japanese language track with the literal English translation. It offers you the best sound quality along with the most accurate translation of the movie.

6. Rain

Rain Producer

Thanks, guys. [​IMG]

7. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Looked at the back cover of my copy which is the Canadian Alliance/Atlantis version ...
    You're right, it doesn't say anything other than widescreen, but the "featurette" is listed without any description.
    I've watched the "featurette" too, it's kinda dull, boring, zzzzz. Only worth a watch once if you don't recognize the English voice actor names (putting face to name kinda thing). The movie is really good though, which is what I bought the disc for anyway [​IMG]

8. Rain

Rain Producer

9. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

Rain,

Where do you get your listing that this disk is from Alliance? I can sometimes find this info on DVDSoon but if you have a better source...

CK

10. Rain

Rain Producer

11. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

This is, of course, a little hard to do when in Australia [​IMG]

12. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

13. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Rain ... I actually took my copy out to look at it after first reading your question. I vaguely remembered that it was definately widescreen or I probably would have rented rather than bought it, but couldn't remember anything else listed on the cover art until I checked [​IMG]

14. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Rain,
    THRILLED to hear you're finally looking at some Miyazaki. I hope this leads you to some more of his astonishing work.
    Oh, and the inside disc of the Alliance Mononoke is the US Miramax disc. Hence, the exact same, right down to the ugly grey disc art. [​IMG]
    Jason

15. MarcusJT

MarcusJT Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know what this reviewer is talking about when he says,
    "
    DVD
    Note that the USA region one DVD apparently features a better picture than this canadian edition.
    This Canadian DVD features a good but not great picture, sharp and colourful but sporting some scratches and dirt marks aswell moments of quite distracting grain.
    "
    http://www.topspins.net/princessmononoke.html
    Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

16. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Just a stupid guess on my part, but could the reviewer's copy have possibly been damaged/dirtied in shipping? I've watched mine several times and never seen any scratches or dirt marks in viewing, nor are there any scratches or dirt on the disc itself (no kids handling discs possibly causing this either).

I've never seen the US version so I couldn't compare to that either. Like I said, stupid guess at work here.

17. MarcusJT

MarcusJT Stunt Coordinator

Jason makes it sound likes it is the exact same disc, but just the way the reviewer says 'apparently' I thought it might have been some common knowledge thing. I looked through the forums here and elsewhere, and through a bunch of reviews, but never saw a mention of the U.S version being better.

18. Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve Second Unit