Is there any connection between 'The Chemical Brothers' and 'The Dust Brothers'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I've been wondering about this for a while now. 1) The Chemie's first studio album is titled 'Exit Planet Dust'. 2) There's loads of samples from the first few tracks of that album, used in the Dustie's 'Fight Club' soundtrack. 3) 'The Dust Brothers' are principally producers.

This is what brought about my curiosity. Does anyone know if there's a connection?

2. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the Chems were fans of the Dust Brothers work. They rather naively decided to call themselves the Dust Brothers as well, probably figuring that the gap between performers and producers was big enough to get away with it. The Dust Brothers (producers) must have seen it differently, and quickly put the brakes on Tom and Ed's usage of the name.

I'm pretty sure they had some early demos/singles under the Dust Brothers monicker. But they had changed their name to the Chems by the time their first album was released -- hence, 'Exit Planet Dust'.

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Indeed the Chems did have a few things out under the Dust Brothers banner before changing. The main problem as I see it is that as well as Tom & Ed releasing their own titles (My Mercury Mouth for example), both sets of then Dust Brothers were doing remixes. As a fan of Tom & Ed but kind of so-so on the 'real' Dusties this makes hunting down early mixes a right pain. e.g. 'Bug Powder Dust' and 'Voodoo People' have the Chems hallmark right through them, but some other stuff is more questionable.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Paul's Boutique rocks the house y'all. So I take it it was the "original" Dust Bros. that produced that for the Beasties, and not the Chem. Bros.?
    Still gotta get the new Chem. Bros. cd. [​IMG]

5. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Too my knowledge they still would prefer to be called the Dust Brothers. Also, a neat piece of news I heard on a Radio 1 interview was that Chemical Brothers were offered to do the soundtrack for Fight Club but they never took the offer seriously. As for the Chem Bros lastest album, awesome!!

6. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Ben, the new Chemical Brothers' CD, Come With Us, is awesome! Definitely get it!!

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Its the 'original' Dust Brothers that produced for the Beasties, yes. As far as I can remember, the only production that the Chems have done is for their own stuff.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I still like Exit Planet Dust. [​IMG]