What's new

Is there any chance of Johnny Staccato coming to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I've been watching this series off and on on Trio and I must have it on DVD. It is still appealing and very worthy of cult status and given the cult icon that series star and director John Cassavetes has I think it has good market potential, even a possible Criterion Collection hopeful. It is about time they did a TV Series (I know they did a mini) and this would be a wonderful companion to the John Cassavetes: Five Films - The Criterion Collection.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
It is a very good show that unfortunately very few people know about. Just watch this post. I'll be the only respondent. Now I don't know if this board is indicative of the buying public at large but look at what's mentioned here. I follow TV fairly closely and even I've never heard of some of the shows they talk about. The one thing the show does have going for it is that Universal remastered them for Trio so they would not have to do any additional work on it, unlike other shows from that era which have never been transferred from film. Still, I would call it an extreme long shot at best.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Hey, I'll join in. I've caught a few episodes on Trio. Pretty nifty series. I liked the episode that had Gena Rowlands in it, and involved a bomb on an airplane flight. There was also a nice episode with Elizabeth Montgomery. I'd buy a dvd-set in a split second. Being only a single-season series, it would make a terrific done-in-one set. Do I ever expect to see it? Well, no, not really.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've started recording many of Trio's "Brilliant But Cancelled" series, because who knows when (or if) they'll come to DVD?

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For anyone interested, Trio is showing most of the remaining episodes of Johnny Staccato in September. Friday, September 3, is a big day, with a marathon that includes about a dozen episodes. For more information check the schedule at http://www.triotv.com/.

M.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I have all of mine from 16mm from the big Universal film deluge that hit the collectors market about 15 years ago. It would make a great release but Universal won't even put out their popular color series like It Takes a Thief, Ironside, Bold Ones, Name of the Game, etc., so I doubt they'll put out a black and white show.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I loved It Takes a Thief, Thriller, The Virginian, and Run for Your Life -- all Universal series that deserve to be produced for DVD release.

I've never had a chance to see The Name of the Game, because it premiered the year I was born (1968) and I didn't get into dramatic series until around 1974 or 75.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've always liked the late John Cassavetes as an actor more than as a director. Johnny Staccato was produced from NBC about a year or two before John started his feature filmmaking career (although he continued on TV for a while too, such as guest starring on The Alfred Hitchcock Hour). I haven't seen the Staccato series. Why? Because my cable company never carried TRIO, and I doubt they ever will.

Can somebody with episodes they may have recorded off-air make them into AVI, MP4, or WAV files and upload them to a Torrent website? You can PM me with the link when they're done, since that isn't allowed here in public. ;)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Oh my giddy aunt! Thanks for sharing this release news! Never bought a Timeless DVD title before. Hopefully Timeless release other shows similar to Johnny Staccato.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
A-M-E-N on the "thank you" to Timeless. That company has been very good to Vintage TV fans for a while now, and I think that will continue and we will keep hearing good news from them about more classic shows being released!

Gary "keep it coming, Timeless!" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
How long was each episode of Johnny Staccato? It being a three disc set and 27 episodes in total, I assume there will be 9 episodes on each disc. I thought there might be compression issues with too many episodes on each disc, if the show was originally in an hour-long timeslot per episode. But I've checked on EpGuides.com and it was a 30 minute show. The total running time per disc should be under 4 hours. And will the discs be single-sided or double-sided?

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Timeless is filling a big void for classic tv fans . Just ordered the complete Checkmate for $33 the other day over at amazon . Will be picking this one up when it comes out for sure .

More classic detective shows are most welcomed .

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

How long was each episode of Johnny Staccato? It being a three disc set and 27 episodes in total, I assume there will be 9 episodes on each disc. I thought there might be compression issues with too many episodes on each disc, if the show was originally in an hour-long timeslot per episode. But I've checked on EpGuides.com and it was a 30 minute show. The total running time per disc should be under 4 hours. And will the discs be single-sided or double-sided?

I'd assume they'll be single-sided DVD-9s, which should each hold nine 25-minute episodes fairly comfortably.  

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Yes, they will be on DVD-9's (Timeless doesn't issue flippers), and it is a half hour show. I'm quite happy that this has been announced, and I'll be purchasing it as soon as it is available. Richard, please consider purchasing Brenner, another Timeless release, it's a terrific show, more realistic than most police shows from that (or any other) era.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Prints should look good - they did those fresh transfers for TRIO a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks