What's new

Is there any chance at all of getting Moulin Rouge on UHD? (7 Viewers)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I think it was on Digital Bits a while back that I read that Disney has no plans to continue to release catalog titles on UHD. Given that Moulin Rouge is a Fox title, which means Disney now owns it, are my hopes for a UHD version completely dashed? Or is there still some hope?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember at one point hoping Fox would release an upconverted 3D version of that film. I was told, at the time, that Baz Luhrmann was busy on another project but the studio would try.

Aaaah, the good'ol days.

As Robert said, the problem right now is Disney. They don't seem to want to release any catalog titles to 4k anymore.

I think there would be a better chance of seeing it on 4k digitally.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it’ll certainly be remastered for 4K UHD distribution on Disney+ and/or Hulu, and once that happens (if not sooner), it’ll hit the digital storefronts.

UHD disc is much more difficult to predict. That format just isn’t doing much sales wise, and catalog titles on physical media in general has been a dwindling business for at least the past decade. I think it was @Cranston37 who posted that the sales numbers show UHD disc is less than 1% of the home entertainment market, and most of that is made up of sales of new titles. This isn’t a question of Disney being evil or anything; it’s just a matter of the format not expanding beyond a niche of a niche.

I remember when the former head of Fox‘s home entertainment department, James Finn, would post here regularly and in early 2016 he said Fox was fully committed to day and date releases of all future titles on UHD disc, and that pronouncement didn’t even last that full year. They had a bunch of catalog titles ready to go but the sales numbers weren’t there from the start. So this is something that was troublesome for the industry and the format long before Disney bought Fox.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Helping matters, maybe, is that Moulin Rouge! was the big new hit show on Broadway before the pandemic hit. It will almost certainly return when Broadway does, and a national tour has already been announced, even though it is on hold. It is something that could be a cross-promotional partner. Disney loves corporate synergy. I'm not saying that the mere existence of the Broadway production would convince Disney to sell a 4K disc. But the production would cause, essentially, free press that would reflect back on the film, if they ever decided to do anything with it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think the only Fox title likely to get a 4K disc that hasn't already been released or announced is The Sound of Music, as that was a top seller on blu-ray.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Really sad as this movie begs for 4K and should get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattpm
Recent bookmarks