Is there Any Buffy Season 3 Reviews out there yet?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Pete Battista, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Hey all...
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3 comes out in a few weeks now. Can anyone point me to a review of the new box set? I am curious about which episodes has commentaries and such.

Thanks in Advance,
    Pete

2. Cliff C

Cliff C Extra

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Given that Fox only supplies discs 1 and 6 for review these days, often times we dont' even get the commentaries
    If you go to http://www.r2dvd.org you'll find reviews of the UK sets (which are up to Season 5), which will pretty much be identical to the US issues with the exception of Season 4, which has an additional Seth Green/Joss/Marti commentary on either the ep where he leaves or the one where he comes back, forget which. Also, the US sets usuaally exhibit superior video quality due to not being converted from NTSC to PAL, and also don't exhibit the chipmunking and unnatural pacing that PAL introduces to 24fps sources (if you notice, YMMV)

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Thanks Cliff...
    I will check out their review!

and Jeff....
    Thanks for your link as well... I think it sucks they only give the first and last discs to review!

5. Gabe Sigler

Gabe Sigler Stunt Coordinator

6. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

A quick question for anyone who has seen or reviewed this set. Do the episodes contain the "Previously on Buffy" intros? I've got the R4 set and I'd like to replace it with the R1 so I don't have to hear the PAL speedup, but I'll probably pass on it if Fox removes those segments from the show.

7. Gabe Sigler

Gabe Sigler Stunt Coordinator

They do not have the "previously on.." bits included.

8. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I'll be keeping the R4 set. I love what Fox has done for TV series on DVD(especially the ridiculously low pricing on anything not named X-Files), but I do wish they'd present the shows as they were originally broadcast, and that includes "Previously on..." segments.

I wonder what'll happen once the R1 set for Buffy Season 5 rolls around. Will they keep the "Previously on Buffy" intro to the season finale(also the 100th episode) that showed a scene from every episode in the series up until that point?

9. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

10. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I certainly hope the R1 version of Season 5 has the "previously on" segment, specifically because of the simply AMAZING one on the last episode, The Gift.

11. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Just done some more checking:

On the R2 releases the 'previously' sections are missing on seasons 1 and 2. Season 3 onwards includes them, and yes, the 'previously' prefix is included on 'The Gift'.

When Gabe Sigler mentioned that they were missing, it is possible he was basing his response on the 2 available sets in America, and other Fox releases like The X-Files which also edits out the 'previously on...' segments (I buy the R1 X-Files releases, but I believe this editing is still being done on the R2 releases).

Have hope, I think it is likely season 3 onwards of the R1 releases will include the recaps.

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I agree, they're how the shows were presented, and I did notice the slight bit of music continuing into the episodes in some season 2 ones.

The Gift had a fantastic opening 'previously' and I hope they keep it on there. Fantastic.

13. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

Not to mention how the "Previously ons" continue between "I Was Made to Love You" and "The Body" as well between "Hush" and "Doomed."

14. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

The sets so far have been identical right down to the menus (save for some different bonus features--the addition of the useless Joss Whedon "interviews"), so if R2 has the "previouslies," R1 will too.

Funny, Disney did almost nothing right with their releases of Once and Again and Felicity, but they included the previouslies.

15. JonathanBlack

JonathanBlack Auditioning

This cutting of 'previouslies' is so annoying, Fox really needs to stop doing it. By all means make them skippable via a chapter stop for those who don't want to see them, but please do not cut them.

I sure hope those who have suggested that Buffy S3 will have them on the R1 version (since it had them in R2) are correct. However, I won't believe it until I see, because in fact there have been some small differences in this regard between the two regions so far. A couple of season 1 episodes had previouslies on the R2 release, but these were missing on the R1. Then, on season 2, the R2 had no previouslies at all, but the R1 actually restored one of them, on the opening episode When She Was Bad (it's a ``Last season, on Buffy...'' thing).

Another example is the show '24', which has all previouslies intact on the R2 release, but again they were removed on the R1 version. Even more surprising in this case, that they actually went to the trouble of removing these (seemingly feeling, misguideldly, that it is a good thing to do), since on '24' they don't actually come at the very beginning of the episode, but are preceded by the opening '24' logo which then transitions into the words 'PREVIOUSLY ON 24', making the cut all the more jarring.

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

IF I may present a theory. I don't think that the "previously" is present on their main masters from which the DVDs are being done. I bet they're only on the NTSC broadcast masters which are not used for DVD.

17. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

Is it me or was season 3 just not as good as 1 or 2? I just finished it, and while it was good, I just had a hard time with the mayor. He was a case of "intentional fallicy" to me - he was an annoying character, but, so much so, I just got annoyed with him and that whole plot thread, which didn't really seem so natural. And the season finale just lacked a certain satisfaction for me. And Cordelia seemed overlooked....I did enjoy the character of Faith. I saw Eliza in another movie as a little girl on Showtime - the title of which I do not remember. What a shocker!!

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Henry, it pretty much is just you. You'd be hard pressed to find another fan who doesn't like season 3 best of all. The mayor is why most of us love it. largely, because in sharp contrast to Angel and the Master, he isn't malicious at all. He's only killing people to get his ascension. And he really loves Faith.

The Body doesn't have a previously. It just opens with the same scene the previous episode ended with.

19. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

20. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer