What's new

Is there any advantage in upsampling CD's to 48Khz? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hello,

I would like to try upsampling in my collection, and it seems the Monarch DIP could be a good device to try. It can upsample a signal to 48-96KHz.

Since I also own a Behringer UltraCurve Pro, I was thinking about inserting the device between my CD player and the equalizer. I would not be able to upsample higher than 48KHz in this situation, since the UltraCurve is a 48/24 device.

Do you think I can get better performance by installing the upsampler, or should I just save the $300 it costs? I'm wondering a lot about it...

Thanks for any help!

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
You could upsample but how would you play it back?? Even using a DVD Player with Digital Output I dont imagine it recognizing the info and playing it. Its gonna look at it as a CD and will only look for 16/44.1 so going up to 48k would make the data useless to the player imo.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The digital out of the player goes to the DIP, which then upsamples. Most pre/pros now accept 24/96 digital signals. I would forget about the UltraCurve Pro. IMO, you'd be defeating the purpose of upsampling in that it doesn't have the best DSP (or DACs) in the world.

As for your question, 44.1 to 48 kHz, any "improvement" would be dubious at best, because it is more "re-sampling" (sample rate conversion) than true upsampling. True upsampling is 44.1 to 88.2 or to 176.4. Any time you throw a sample rate conversion into it, the sound quality is actually more likely to degrade than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks