Is there an S-Video Y-Connector, Not Switcher?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_L, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Title pretty much says it all. Buying a Tivo and I want to use the s-video from my cable box b/c from what I've read, Tivo's have crappy comb filters. Already use the one s-video out from cable box, and don't want to create a direct connection through Tivo (want to retain ability to watch TV not through Tivo).

Don't want an actual switcher, as that would require me to get up each time (unless somebody makes a remote controled switcher, which would work).

Hope somebody can help me out on this.

Thanks.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You cannot just passively split video signal like witha Y adaptor for audio. The signal level has to be maintained, or the signal is lost.

While a "switcher" would be moot in your situation, a "splitter" would not. There are boxes made by a dozen different manufacturers that take a single input and split it into multiple outputs while maintaining signal level properly.

Quality and prices will vary- but they can be had on any pro video site, or even try Partsexpress.com

-Vince

3. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Vince.

BTW, I would have posted this Tweaks, Connections and Accessories, but I couldn't find the category yesterday.