What's new

Is there an RCA-to-Toslink Converter? (1 Viewer)

Jemi

Grip
Or anything similar that would allow me to connect Left and Right RCA audio jacks from the back of a Receiver to a device that has an Optical Out terminal?

I'd like to do this because I have a PS2 (it has an OPTICAL OUT) that I'd like to listen to games with Dolby Digital or DTS. Yet, I have a DVD Home Theater system that has a main unit that only plays Dolby Digital or DTS on software launched onto IT'S drive only (in other words, it has no DIGITAL AUDIO INS).

Is there such a converter? If so, is it more than $20? If it is, I'd be better off switching home theater systems (I have one that actually has an OPTICAL IN) and getting a normal optical cable to connect it to the PS2.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
If you've only stereo inputs on your receiver, then you can get mono, stereo, and phase-encoded surround, but not Dolby Digital Surround or DTS surround.

There do exist boxes that take optical (or coax-digital) in and put out analog audio, but all that you will do there is add another box to the setup without changing your end result.

I'm afraid that to get the improvement you're looking for, you need to replace the receiver.

Leo Kerr

Jemi

Grip
I see, thanks for the info. I believe I'm just better off switching receivers and buying a separate optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks