Is there an option for a $500 home theater

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Frank Lee, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi

My friend from work has been asking me about home theaters, since I am always talking about my latest upgrade. He wants to start with a cheap system for his upstairs living room. He is looking for something in the $500 dollar range. He wants a DVD player and all (minus the TV). I told him the only option he may have is HTIB. He is ok with that. The tough part is that he wants wireless surround speakers, which I told him that he may have to purchase those seperately. He was looking at a $250 Sony HTIB at Wal-mart, but would like something a little better if possible. Do you guys have any good suggestions we could look into? Need some for the HTIB & wireless speakers. If they come together that would be even better. He may go a little higher then $500.

Thanks

Frank

PS I have been trying to get him to my house so I can spoil him with my SVS. He'll never consider a HTIB after he hears that [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

Onkyo 770 system. The wireless is still sort of a crock, either a speaker wire or an AC plug wire to the powered wireless speaker. Most opt for the speaker wire everytime given that information.

3. Kenny-

Kenny- Auditioning

I have found the Kenwood Fineline wireless HTB-S610 and I ordered it. Most places were wanting between 450.00 and 500 for it, but I found it for $385 from etronics.com

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Seriously, people must pay attention to the following disclaimer posted atop the Basics area thread-listing page:

For HTiB-related threads, please post them here in A/V Sources.

5. Frank Lee

Sorry I didn't know that HTIB in a box was considered A/V source-type posting material. I guess I don't use the basics area much and thought I knew the rules, so I just posted. Sorry

6. Frank Lee

He won't go with anything that has wires for the back speakers. He said he can't get wires to the back. I made him aware of the power cord and he still wants wireless.

The Kenwood is a great suggestion! Anything else out there we should check out that you guys can think of?

7. JeffLambas

JeffLambas Extra

I'd go for the Kenwood also

8. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Yeah - rent a movie theater for a day and call it your home! [​IMG]