What's new

Is there an HT receiver that passes video/audio while turned off? (1 Viewer)

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Need some help. We bought a new place where the previous owner had buried cable from the "component cabinet area" to the wall mounted display. Unfortunately, for some reason, he (or his installer) chose to only run a DVI and a set of component cables to the TV. I guess he thought he'd always use his HT setup for audio. I'm not that picky, usually when I'm just watching regular TV (which is 90% of the time), I don't want the hassle of turning everything on, (plus I'm trying to be green/cheap about the electrivity).

So, my thinking is that I'd have to do HDMI to DVI converter out of the HT receiver for the video signal and use 2 of the component cables for the audio. But, that means that the receiver would have to pass the video and audio signals through from the cable box to the output while unpowered/turned off.

Does anyone know any decent receivers, priced around $350 or under that does that? Otherwise, I think I have to go with some sort of audio/video hub thing.

Any help / suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and happy Fourth!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I think the newer Yamahas have a setting to pass through HDMI signals in standby mode. RX-V465 is the standard recomendation in that price range.

Though personally I don't see the point; my universal remote automatically turns everything on/off with a single button push, so there's no "hassle", and I enjoy the better audio on many TV shows.

As for electrical use, the standby mode consumes a little more power if the standby pass-though mode is turned on. I haven't done the math to see this is more or less than having the receiver on while you watch TV, I suppose it depends on how much TV you watch.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
Having a reciver and TV on really does not draw much power, now if you had industrial tools running and Tube amps that weigh as much as a vending machine, then you should worry about power consuption.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu

Though personally I don't see the point; my universal remote automatically turns everything on/off with a single button push, so there's no "hassle", and I enjoy the better audio on many TV shows.
This was my thought. I good universal remote will cost you much less than the $350 budget you mentioned, and it will provide a lot more convenience for your system on a daily basis. I've never used the built-in TV speakers on the last three displays in our main HT, going back over 14 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks