What's new

Is there an FAQ here or somthing so I don't have to ask a million dumb questions? :) (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still over a year off on building my new home (currently in a townhouse) but I just wanted to feed my addiction by starting the learning process now. I really have very limited knowledge of Home Theater let alone building an area for one :)
Where should I start?
thanks guys!
Jim

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
You might want to use the Search function on a particular subject and also search the members Theater sites as many has construction photos that will help.

Good luck!

Wes

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
thanks Wes. I tryed the SEARCH function of the website.. but I don't even have the tiniest clue of where to start.. so that is pretty hard. I'm looking at all the set ups I can find and they are great. It's great inspiration :)
What I need is Building a Home Theater 101 (what size room is best, materials, considerations, planning, blah blah blah), starting with the basics. I'll continue to look around though.. thanks alot guys,
Jim

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I know what it is like when you start out. Here are some words to try for your search. I tested them and bring up some good threads to start you out.
Sound proofing
theater wiring
theater room size
Home Theater Furniture
Home Theater Plans
Home Theater Pics
carpeting
wall material
Just a few to get you started. Scroll thru the threads, sometimes the search brings up some odd results, but I checked and there are good threads about each search word in amongst them. Go to the hardware posts as well.
http://www.hometheatervillage.com/vi...room_size.html Here is a site about room size which you may find helpful.
Good luck to you. I hope you find this little hobby of ours as rewarding as I have.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, thanks so much for taking the time to give me a head start. I'm excited to start gathering info and start planning this bad boy out! :)
I'll get to work on this keywords right away.
thanks again!
Jim

Scott Holt

Agent
Don't use anything but a projector in your theater. They are great. I just added one to my room and love it. You really feel like you are in a theater. The best place to go is called [URL=http://www.projectorpeople.com . Or call 1-888-248-0675 ext.2277 which would be Todd Reed. If you want someone who would be helpful, patient with you with all your calls, and understanding than he is the guy you want to talk to. Just try a call. I'm sure you won't regret it and maybe be surprised at how affordable it will be. Tell him Scott sent you.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott. How does a projector work? I mean.. can you hook Direct TV for instance to it or is it just for DVD's?

thanks,

Jim

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Jim,

I can definitely relate as I'm at about the same spot as you...in a townhouse now, looking to move into a single family soon, starting the process of planning for a dedicated HT now.

I think it is hard to know how to start, but here are some things I've done. First, I started to consider what I might want the room to look like conceptually, and I used other people's HTs as an idea database. Check out the websites of people who have built a dedicated HT; many of these sites have good information and pictures of each step of the construction process as well as the finished product. One that always comes to mind (but certainly not the only one) is Robert Fowkes' HT site. In addition to a wonderful dedicated HT, he also has great information on the site. You can get to it by reading any one of his posts, and clicking on the link in his signature. Also check out the "Theaters" link here at HTF for more HT ideas.

Once you have some ideas for the design, you can use these same sites to get a sense of what's involved to make your dream come true.

From this stage I started keeping some documentation of the ideas I liked. I even drew up some rudimentary sketches of what I may do with my future space, and I started making a list of all the steps that are involved (i.e. framing, drywall, insulation, wiring, soundproofing, etc.). At this point I'm not too concerned about nailing down every detail because you can post some of the questions you have about the details at this site and get your answers.

That's where I am right now, but like you, I'm always dreaming up more questions, and some of them are so minute/detailed/crazy-sounding that I wonder if I'm the only one thinking about them. But a lot of them can be answered via participation with this and other forums.

I also think there are some things that have to wait until it's closer to construction time, and for those questions I plan on posting them here and enlisting the help of HTF members.

If you want to share ideas or talk about where you are in the process, please let me know as I'm always curious what others are doing. Perhaps we can commisserate! Feel free to shoot me an email and we can chat.

Good luck!

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Scott.. thanks alot man. I really appreciate the help and the advice. That's what I've been doing for the last few days.. just looking at other's HT sites. RAF's is just insane! ;)
I'm doing excactly as you are... taking bits and pieces of things I like from each persons set up. When I have all the pieces.. I'll start researching them individually to see how it can be done. I'm not by any stretch a handy man, so this will be quite an adventure when it's time to actually start DOING the work.
I'll definelty shoot you an email to BS about specifics when/if I have some well thought out questions. Thanks again Scott,
Jim

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Jim, I wouldn't consider myself the handiest guy on the block either, but I'm going to give this a whirl anyway! I will try to learn what is necessary to do it. The thought of my own dedicated HT will push me through it (plus I'm going to beg for help from all of my friends who are good at this sort of thing, when the time comes).

Don't feel as though you have to wait until you have questions to email me; feel free to bounce your ideas off of me and I'll do the same. It may help both of us to chat about it - one of us may trigger something in the other, etc. (that's how it worked in group presentation preparation in MBA school; maybe it will work here!)

Scott Holt

Agent
Hey Jim a projector can handle a vcr, a satellite receiver, dvd, computers and more. If you would call and talk to my Todd Reed a projector he can explain it to the smallest detail about projectors. They are the coolest thing you'll own. You'll love it. I will never go back to tv in my theater again. They can actually take up less space than a tv. You can have a retracable screen and have a picture or something on the wall in its place and your projector can also retract into the ceiling if you have enough head room. So many options but too little time to tell more about them. But really, give Todd Reed a call and ask him at 1-888-248-0675 ext. 2277 but tell him Scott told you. He'll get a kick out of it.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott. I'll definelty give him a call.. but probably not for awhile. I just bought an HDTV and won't be ready for a projector for AT LEAST a year when I have my house built.... but I have all this info printed out and filed :)
thanks again!
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks