Is there an Escape From NY Sp.Ed. coming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by davenportbuzz, Feb 14, 2002.

1. davenportbuzz

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that MGM was going to be doing a Special Edition of Escape From NY and it was coming next year ('03). Can anyone confirm this?

I ask because I have the chance of buying the Special Edition laserdisc for super cheap, which includes Carpenter/Russel commentary as well as deleted scenes at the end you can watch, but if it's true that the DVD will be finally given the Special Edition treament, then I'll wait for the superior format version.

Much appreciated!

Rick

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I understand we're getting it 3rd or 4th quarter this year. Not soon enough if you ask me. It would be nice if Paramount would match it with an Escape From LA special edition. Oh, I made a funny.

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

You should probably pick up the laserdisc because MGM said at Studio Day last year that they preferred to create new suppliments rather than license existing ones.

Gregory

4. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

According to Joe Dante, they've licensed the old supplements from the Pioneer HOWLING LD Special Edition for their forthcoming S.E DVD, and have also created some new, extra supplements on their own. Perhaps the same thing will happen for EFNY. They managed to port all the LD supplements for PLATOON onto their upgraded DVD, for example.

I doubt I'd be very interested in an ESCAPE FROM L.A S.E. Others may feel differently.

5. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I remember reading that there is some heavy editing being done on this title. If the rumor is true then I would get the version that is out now. From what I hear MGM is taking out all referances of the president being on a plane and even taking out footage showing the plane crash on the computer screen. Also they want to do CGI on Donald Pleasence and dub in dialog from a voice actor/ impresonator. I read all this awhile back on DVD File I think. It was quoted from Carpanter and he also stated that he has nothing to do with the changes.

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Just nasty rumors and that's all.

7. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Will's right, that was a practical "joke" played on DVD File by some asshole. Carpenter himself denied it.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

How about the DVD we wuz promised of The Fog???
    I cannot WAIT to see anamorphic fog!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (I sincerely do love The Fog and I pray it gets a tidy little SE treatment!)