What's new

Is there an easy way to Backup Microsoft Outlook? (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I swear, why don't they just include a backup program with this software? I have over 300 contacts in Outlook and I'd hate to loose them.

Is there an easy way to back up all the information in Mircosoft Outlook?

Thanks
Dave

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you can do it all together, but you can do it . . .

Go to File and Export.

Tell it to Export to a File.

Tell it to Export to a Personal Folder File (.pst)

You can then select what to put in that .pst file. You can put your contacts in one and your inbox in another.

Word to the wise: make the .pst file password protected. If you ever have to open it on another computer (think virus or computer crash) it will be a HUGE pain to open it if you don't have it password protected.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Depending on the Outlook version your contacts may - by default - be saved in a PAB (personal address book) file. A check of the app's help file under "export" should give you the details. I think I have a word document at work the step-by-step instructions for backing all this stuff up to CD. Send me your e-mail address in a PM and I'll send you a copy in the morning.

Later,

Joe

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
All the data in Outlook is saved in a .pst file, and there is a very simple backup process built into the program.

Click File, Import & Export. Choose Export to a file and Next. Click Personal Folder File (.pst) and Next. Be sure that "Personal Folders is hilited and the "include all subfolders" box is checked and click Next. Choose the location for your backup file and whatever options you'd like and click Next. Choose the name of the backup file, whether you want the file encrypted and click OK.
The process will could take a while depending on how many emails and contacts you have stored.
If you ever have to restore the file, it's done from the same place and is pretty easy to figure out.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mike's right on the money. i've done it *exactly* that way several times now. works perfectly. it copies all my folders, sub-folders, address book, etc. very important point there...otherwise you'll only copy the root folder.

also, once i back it up, i test it and try to restore it...just to make sure the backup is clean and functional.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I didn't know you could do it that way. I just found the .pst file on the hard drive, and backed that up. It restores just perfect that way too, but it would probably be easier to do it from within outlook than find the file.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I used to back up by just browsing to the "outlook.pst" file and copying that to back up. There were a few times that the restore wouldn't work....you might keep a copy by backing up through the Outlook export function.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
definitely test that .pst file ... make sure you can restore (or at least open it) from outlook.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I want to thank everyone for their input. I've backed up my Outlook files the way Mike LS suggested. Very easy. I'm also thinking about the software that Ron suggested.

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks