What's new

Is there an audible diference between HDCD and CD ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Is there an audible diference between HDCD and CD ?...Is it worth the extra $$$...Is there a lot of software out there for it ?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I can certainly hear a difference, but it requires decent equipment. It's subtle, but nice.
You can get a listing of titles at Link Removed There are lots of titles and you quite possibly already own a few.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
The difference you will hear between normal CD and HDCD seems to depend alot on the player. I have heard several units, both CD players and DVD players, with HDCD decoding and didn't care for two of them (HK FL8550, Tosh SD3109). I currently own a Denon DCM-370 and HDCD playback sounds very good, but some discs sound better when played back via the digital output to my Denon receiver (which does not have HDCD decoding). If you are think about purchasing a player with HDCD decoding be sure to audition it, or better yet buy from a retailer with a good return policy.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My feeling is that HDCD does not offer an improvement over redbook CD (16/44.1). I own a Denon DCM-370 carousel changer and do not feel that HDCD discs are on a whole other level. Admittedly, the '370, while a very good player for the price, is not a high-end player. It is possible that one will get better results with HDCD discs played on better HDCD-compatible players such as those from Rotel. However, I feel that is because the Rotel models and other high-end HDCD-compatible models are better all around than the Denon.
HDCD discs sound very good, but I do not feel it is because of HDCD. HDCD discs tend to be remastered on modern equipment, which I feel explains the quality sound from HDCD-encoded discs. When shopping, I do make notice of CDs with the HDCD logo and will often buy remastered CDs that have the logo because I expect the disc to sound good. Again, I don't feel HDCD has anything to do with it.
Since HDCD technically is very close to 16/44.1 redbook, I don't feel one needs an HDCD-compatible player to get great sound from such discs. This comes back to my feeling that HDCD isn't a leap forward sonically. I have found that HDCD discs can sound better on certain non-HDCD players than on my Denon '370 HDCD player. My point in all of this is buy a good quality player all around, and don't base your decision on whether or not it has the HDCD decoding chip. It's not really necessary. SACD, on the other hand, is a whole other ballgame. SACD, most definitely, is better than CD.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

YANG

Screenwriter
HDCD releases is definately much more better than regular releases.HDCD sounds more detail with wider dimension.But...with the popularity of 24bit/96khz CD releases,HDCD products is getting more and more lesser.RCA VICTOR is one example.During the HDCD time,the label releases lots of HDCD soundtracks,but now the latest releases are getting more and more rare.
HDCD is now facing the fate that had happened to JVC's XRCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks