Is there an anamorphic list someplace?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Is anyone keeping a database of what DVDs are anamorphic or not? I've fallen for the non anamorphic "Special Edition" twice now; most recently with my purchase of Young Frankenstein SE. It said "Special Edition", it says "widescreen", it's a classic film, they must have taken the care to release the best possible disk, right? WRONG!

Earlier this month I fell for "Stargate Special Edition"... I ended up giving it away.

Anyone know of a website with this information. Amazon.com will only tell you the aspect ratio of the disk.. not if it's anamorphic.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Nevermind, I've just discovered the "Click here for more technical details about this edition..." button at Amazon.com that explains the aspect ratio and anamorphicity (is that a word? it is now!) of the disk.
    Sorry for wasting everyone's bandwidth a bit. [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

No waste, but not all titles will be listed accurately. It wouldn't surprise me if you might find a list somewhere people have compiled of confirmed non-anamorphic titles, since they're the minority.

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

You should use more than 1 source for confirmation.

DVDEmpire is decent.

Also use the DVDProfiler software - it seems to be fairly accurate.