What's new

Is there a widescreen projection TV that will correctly handle non-anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

JasonTil

Agent
I'm looking to purchase a HD ready widescreen and I know that some of them have had problems with progressive scan of non-anamorphic DVD's. Are there any decent models that can do this in the $4,000 to $5,000 range?
Thank you,
Jason

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
With the Panasonic DVD-RP91 progressive scan DVD-Video/Audio player you don't have to worry. The player will handle this by upconverting non-anamorphic discs to pseudo-anamorphic (and a few other tricks). On 4:3 ratio discs it will add the black bars on the sides and still put out a progressive scan signal on those televisions that have this problem.
Toshiba is the only HDTV that I am aware of (there may be others) that does not lock into FULL mode with progressive scan signals.
Dan

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Mitsubishi also gives you aspect control with progressive signals with one exception; the stetch mode for 4:3 material is not available with a progressive signal.
All modes are available on the Toshibas with a progressive signal.
For some reason unknown to me, Pioneer still has the progressive lock problem.
Jim

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Michael,
That is good news. I've always liked the Pioneer sets, but the progressive lock issue was a deal breaker for me when I decided to buy last fall.
It will be interesting to see how the new Pioneer sets compete in price. Currently, they have failed to keep up with the competition.
Jim

JasonTil

Agent
Hey Guys, Thanks for the help. Do you have any recommendations between the Mitsubishi and Toshiba's, I've looked pretty closely at a Mitsubishi Diamond Series. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks