What's new

Is there a website dedicated or that explains in detail seperates? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I just got into the HT thing and am a little confused on seperates and what exactly that entails. If someone has a website or link to a detailed explanation for a newbie that would be great. You don't have to write an essay for me unless you really want to. :)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Allan,

Separates are exactly what it sounds like. Imagine you have a receiver and you split it in half. One half does all the video switching, sound format processing, etc... while the other half is the amplifier simply used to drive the speakers. That's it. The benefits of separates are that by allocating a single unit to one function (whether that be processing or driving speakers) you typically will get better quality sound and video because you aren't cramming everything in one box and cutting corners to make it all fit. Also it makes upgrading a little easier. You can just upgrade the processor if your amp works fine or upgrade just your amp if your processor is a little behind the times. This also leads to more flexibility.

And fortuanately separates are begining to be more affordable. I just recently saw that etronics has Proton's 5channel amp for $350. Add that to Outlaw's soon to be out 950 and you can have quality seperates for under $1500! I hope that helps clear up most things. If you have more questions feel free to post them here. Sorry, I don't know of an article for you off hand. Perhaps someone else will. Enjoy!

Dan Hine

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Thanks. So what do you need to connect seperates and can anyone provide links to companies manufacturing them? I'm interested in this for a future upgrade possibly. Geeze I haven't had my new stuff for a month yet and already I am thinking of the future. ;)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
First, to expand upon Dan's comments, separates and receivers apply to both home theater and music. For example, one could have a stereo pre-amplifier and a stereo amplifier (sometimes called a two channel amp or you could also use two monoblock amps) for music and a surround sound processor (sometimes called a surround or a/v preamp) plus a multi-channel amp for home theater. Since their functions are independent of one chassis, they are called separates.
A stereo receiver or surround receiver combine the preamp/processor and the amp as you probably deduced. Receivrs also tend to have an am/fm tuner.
Here's an example of a powerful home theater separates combo:
Link Removed
Pictured above Aragon's new Stage One 7.1 surround processor and model 2007 seven-channel amp. The Stage One has all the latest surround formats plus all the ol' favs (eg. Dolby Digital, DTS, 6.1 DTS-ES, THX-Surr-EX, other 7.1 formats). The 2007 has seven built-in amps rated at 200 watts per channel.
There are 8 maximum connections between the stage one and the 2007. Seven of the eight are the connections of audio cable (option of RCA or XLR, unbalanced or balanced respectively) going from the processor's 7 audio outputs (l-main, r-main, center, r-surr, l-surr, l-surr-back, r-surr-back) to the respective amplifier's audio inputs. The eigth connection is the increasingly popular 12V trigger in which the amp turns on upon turning the processor on. The subwoofer output on the processor goes to the amp powering your sub and is independent of the 2007 amplifier.
I urge you to read some articles over at homethaterhifi.com in order to get a better idea of the sonic characteristics of separate components.
One note: a popular and afforable option to separates is using a surround receiver as the surround preamp/processor. By doing this, the receiver's internal amps are rendered useless. Given the costs of some of the dedicated surround processors, it's still cost-effective. Make sure you read this Link Removed. It'll help you discern the differences between using internal amps and using a powerful, refined amplifier.
Popular amplifier brands (may also include processors): Anthem, Acurus (discon'd), Adcom, Aragon, Balanced Audio Technology, Bryston, Carver, Cinepro, Krell, McIntosh, Mark Levinson, NAD, Parasound, Rotel, Sherbourn, and Sunfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks