1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to "repair" scratched up LDs??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Graham, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I picked up a copy of the THX "Faces" version of The Empire Strikes Back on LD from eBay, and despite the seller saying it was in very good shape, one disc was missing its sleeve entirely, and both discs are scratched into oblivion. They play, but not very well due to all the scratches...I get a lot of white specks and other such artifacts.

Is there any way to repair or buff out the scratches on an LD, like you can with CDs?

2. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

I'd try buffing it out with a plastic polish called Novus #2. It's a liquid that you can rub on with a soft cloth.

I've removed minor scuffs and abrasions from laserdiscs with it, and I've even cleaned up the occasional spot that won't play.

I buy mine at the local pinball distributor, as it's great for cleaning up pinball machines. Just do a Google search if you can't find it locally.

Charlie

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"CD Scratch Remover" from various companies works good- I got "The Rock" DTS laserdisc when I got my new player and sound system, and kept playing the DTS trailer at the beginning so much that a round scratch was put on the disc! I'd seen that on several discs played continuously in stores too; don't know what causes it.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

I heard that rubbing some toothpaste in helps, Seriously!
    Although, that was for CDs but maybe it works for LD too

5. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit