What's new

Is there a way to get a lower crossover without buying a new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I have a yamaha rxv3000 receiver, and I love how it sounds with my axiom m60's and a svs 20-39 pci. However, I would love to be able to have the options of trying different crossover points. My receiver automatically crosses everything over at 90 hz, and I would like to see how my system would sound at around 55 or 60 hz.

Is there a separate component I could buy that wouldn't be too expensive? I know I could use the Outlaw ICBM, but that only works if I use rca cables from my cd player and I don't want to do that, because the dac's in my receiver sound so much better using the digital cable from the cd player to the receiver.

thanks

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
From what I read, the Paradigm X-30 Controller is one such device that goes betw the receiver sub output and sub. It provides 40, 80 and 120 Hz levels w/l8dB x-over slopes. Here's a LINK

Otherwise, what about regular speaker-level wire connection to the sub and thence main speakers in order the set Mains as Large and utilize the sub's x-over circuit...

Sheldon C

Second Unit
thanks Bill,

will using speaker wires use my receiver as the sub amp, or will it still be the sub amp doing the work?

thanks.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
The speaker (output) wires by definition carry an amp- powered signal. In LARGE setting, this will be a full range signal from the rcvr L&R terminals to the approp. terminals on the sub. Here, the lower bass will be striped below the selected crossover and presumably routed thru the sub amp so its gain ctrl can be used.

The question is what happens to the LowFrequencyEffect channel (the crux of bass for 5.1 DVD playing)?

Given the extra wiring and set-up testing reqd to ensure LFE is coming thru, I dont go this route so cannot vouch for it.

All I know is I got a 500-600 watt SVS sub built-in amp and a nicely-powered SubOut on my Yamaha rcvr. This crossover is a fixed 90Hz but the sub remains non-directional for me.

It wont cost you more than 50 feet of 12 gauge wire to test the spkr-level method, but in the end the conventional route is line-level and spkrs set SMALL. (I'm sorry if this sidesteps your concern about variable crossover levels; some newer rvrs now are carrying selective levels).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks