Is there a way of performing a diagnostic on speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Leiter, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

I was listening to my Dave Mathews CD this weekend and it seems that one of my main speakers just diddn't sound right. Is there an easy way (or any way at all) that I can do a diagnostic of my speakers that would determine what might be wrong with them (if anything)?

2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Mark,

If you have Video Essentials, AVIA or a DVD with the THX Optimode on it you can run through their speaker test sounds to make sure you have the wiring correct. You can test your entire setup, including phase and the THX also goes through a signal sweep.

As far as the drivers, I'm not aware of any 'testing' that can be done other than your own ears. You may also want to visually and physically examine the drivers to see if they've been damaged by anything (pets, kids?).

I'd check and double check all my connections; speaker wire, CD player connections, etc to make sure that something didn't come undone that would cause the problem. Are you hooked up to a surge suppressor/line conditioner? If so, you may want to check to see if any breakers were tripped.

Sometimes I think the same thing, but a lot of my 'problems' are just me (mood, level of fatigue, etc).

Troy

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

FYI: I have used Delos DVD Spectacular 20 Hz to 20 KHz frequency sweep tests (1 each for the Front R&L, Center and Surround R&L) channels to identify;
    1) Timbre
    2) Damaged or loose speakers
    3) Vibrations
    Worked well in identifying that the Vifa 1" soft dome tweeter in the custom made bookshelf (front left channel) was loose! It can also reveal the sub > satellite blending issues.
    Phil

4. Nikos

Nikos Auditioning

What didn't sound right about your speaker? An AVIA (or equivalent) disc cannot help you find/solve all problems. If you can explain in a bit more detail what may be wrong, then we could help you troubleshoot the problem a bit better.

Nikos

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Flip the speakers around, if the same speaker still sounds funny, you have a problem. It could be that you've had a open-circuit from popping one of the capacitors going to the tweeter, or the voice coil goes on the midwoofer and it sounds scratchy.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You could also use a discrete tone test disc like Autosounds 2000 or Stryke (among many others!) and actually plot the freq response of both speakers, looking for differences between the 2.

Can be used in combination with what others have mentioned.