What's new

Is there a Video Card That Will Do this? (1 Viewer)

John.W

Agent
I have the 53" Panny HDTV. Is there a Video Card I can hook up to the Second Set of HDTV inputs? I dont have DVI only the three componet inputs.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The new, possibly unreleased ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9700 has a component output breakout cable, if you're looking for an easy all-in-one solution. Unfortunately, I have no idea if 1920x1080 output is possible, Macrovision legal restrictions may not allow it.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Expect fuzzy text. At least, at 1440x540, text is readable, but it won't be anywhere near sharp as a decent VGA monitor. Should be good for video though.

I have a TW40X81, it's only a 40" display. Too bad my computer is too damn loud. I really should try liquid cooling to stay under 25 db of noise.

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
Check http://www.altex.com/ and search for "bnc" (called "15-pin High Density D-Sub") The two at the bottom of the search page that are under VGA are what you want.
Two of the five BNC connectors are not used, just let them hang.
This will let you do HD from a pc. Use powerstrip to figure out the highest resolution that your tv will handle correctly.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Matt, you sure those will convert SVGA to component video? I can't see how those would work at all! If you have those cables and got them working, what video card did you use?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Matt/Max: That won't work unless the video card can be switched to output a component (YpYbYr) instead of a VGA (RGB-HV(sync)) signal. That's why, in most cases, a transcoder is needed.

This does work on a device like the Iscan, for instance, because it has a switch on the back to switch between VGA and component.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Bill. I have a transcoder myself, and couldn't figure out how those cables would work on any of the current video cards except for the new Radeon All-in-Wonders.

I have the Audio Authority VGA-to-component transcoder. Works pretty well, after I had it replaced when the first one blew up (but a good friend fixed the original one, because he kicks ass).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks