What's new

Is there a vet in the house? My cats ... drooling??!?! (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
At first I thought it was from him drinking out the sink again, but my male cat is drooling. I've never seen a cat drool. I don't even know if this is normal. He seems to be acting relatively normal, a little more lazy than usual. But while he was sitting on my chest, I saw drops of saliva dripping from the corners of his mouth. Not a steady stream, but nonetheless I'm a bit worried. Could it be a bad tooth? My cat isn't really sick, is he? I won't be able to take him to the vet until Friday, and I can't find any information on the web. HELP!!!

Freddy C.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be concerned at all. If the vet will ease your mind, then go ahead, but I really think it's a waste of time. My cat is about 14 years old now. He's been drooling since about age 5. I take him for all his regular check-ups and shots and nothing's ever been said. As he's gotten older it's gotten worse, or maybe I just notice it more now. I really wouldn't be concerned with it at all.

Oh, if your vet does say there's something wrong please let me know! Thanks.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Interesting issue. After a year in the pet food business, this is a new one.

By chance do you give your cat any catnip? If so, drooling is often a result of that.

I don't know if it's worth a trip to the vet. I'd be inclined to just give them a call and ask. I don't know about your area, but where I am many of the better vets are happy to answer simple questions on the phone.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Like Seth, my oldest cat has been drooling on and off for years (since he was about seven), and it usually means he needs his teeth cleaned (a serious cleaning to get the tartar off: it's pretty freaky seeing the ungodly sized chunks the dentist pulls out with the dental pick) and his gums checked. Drooling often means that plaque is below the gum line and there's a gum infection brewing.

If your cat isn't regularly getting something tough to chew on then a chicken kneck (great for scraping off tartar) every few weeks can be useful to prevent plaque and tartar buildup. It can also help reduce catfood breath.

Check out this article on cat dental care and problems.

By the way, if your cat's feisty bring along a camcorder for the procedure. If the vet decides not to use a general aneasthetic for the cleaning it's Grade A, cat-on-vet, clawing, hissing, spitting, shark-cage entertainment. :)

Adam

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
A little drool, probably nothing. A lot of drool: bad tooth, oral ulcer, oral foreign body. Needs to be looked at by someone who actually knows what they are doing. Get kitty an appointment.

After 16 years in the vet business, I still don't diagnose or treat over the internet or the telephone.

Frederick

Second Unit
I think I'm going to take him in. He's still acting normal; chasing his sister around, purring constantly, he's even eating. But this morning I rubbed his cheeks (he's super-furry) and it was a little damp. He's 6 years old, by the way. Healthy in every other way I can tell, but I've been told that cats hide sickness. I give them a diet of moist food in the evening and a bowl of hard food to nibble on during the day. He wouldn't sit still long enough for me to look in his mouth. Thanx for the info, guys. Oops ... and Dr. :D ...

Freddy C.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I do have one cat that drools, but only a little, and only when she's really happy. So I'm not worried...but I am curious to hear what the vet says about this! Keep us all informed! Hope kitty is okay! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks