Is there a typical cure for clay face on an LCD?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Charlie Campisi, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I have a small Samsung 26" LCD flat panel in the bedroom. I calibrated it with DVE and wound up with clay face on some of my programming. It's really bad for Grey's Anatomy, particularly the lead character, which annoys my wife to no end. I think it's mostly when we watch it in SD. I'm going to take another shot at it, but I was wondering if this symptom was usually related to one part of the calibration. I stick with the user controls and don't venture into the service menu.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't think there's any cure for this phenomenon on SD material.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Ms. Grey looks great in HD on my 52" Toshiba DLP. [​IMG]

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Say, I'm not very familiar with LCD panels at all, however when you say you "wound up with" this problem, do you mean to imply that this emerged only after calibration? Or was it also present before calibration?

5. Charlie Campisi

I calibrated it as soon as I got it, but I think it probably was there before calibration as well. Poor choice of words. I played with it a little more last night, but didn't test it for long as I wanted to watch the national championship game. A quick test looked like I might have gotten some improvement, but not eliminated the problem. To be clear, it only seems present on an SD signal, and for some reason, Ellen Pompeo's skin tone brings out the worst for some reason. I'm using a directivo connected by S-video for my SD signals. I calibrated with a panny progressive dvd 480p over component cables.

So, I know I am not calibrating apples v. apples, but I was hoping to at least get close. If there was a typical cause of the clay face symptom I wanted to look there first with my tweaks. I don't think the problem exists in HD, but I lent the antenna we were using to a friend (tv has a built in ATSC tuner, but directivo is an SD model) and need to hook up another to confirm. We watch so little live tv we don't miss the antenna.

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    If your TV has separate display setting memory for each input, you're going to have to connect a DVD player to the S-video input and run DVE again in order to properly set the levels for the SD channels coming from the DirecTiVo.

Regards,

Joe

7. Charlie Campisi

Yeah, I know. [​IMG] Just trying to find out if clay face has a known cure ahead of time.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

NTSC Sattelite with it's low resolution and low data rate is absolutely the worst signal possible for this kind of artifact. And local channels are generally the worst of the worst in this area.

Nevermind ATSC, If you were using an antenna for terrestrial NTSC you probably wouldn't see much of a problem.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

And Samsung has some "enhancements" that can't be turned off--DNIE for example.

10. Charlie Campisi

Yes, I knew that before I bought it. The Samsung still had a better picture than any of the models I compared it to, except the Sony which was much more expensive. The DNIE is not what is causing the clay face. The picture looks fine in HD, 480p and on most 480i material. It's just certain shows, Grey's Anatomy in particular that really evidence the problem.

11. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

It's funny you bring this up because my wife and I will be returning our Samsung 42" Plasma tomorrow for this very same reason (as well as I can't seem to get the black levels dialed in at all).

The clay face is very prominent on my plasma to the point of being very distracting. We get it in HD and SD with 1080i and 720p. I even get it using my DVD player but for some reason only on certain movies. For instance King Kong looked incredible but Chronicles of Narnia was horrible. I've tried S-Video, Component and HDMI and still can't get it to look right so I've given up.

I'm hoping a Sony LCD (or DLP) will look better.

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Clayface is my pet peeve, returned an Hitach a few years ago that everyone else raved about because of clayface. In my experience if you want the most natural fleshtones Sony is consistently a good choice.