Is there a TV Primer/FAQ around?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank Moriarty, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Frank Moriarty

Frank Moriarty Auditioning

Hi folks -

This is my first post in this section, been busy digesting speakers, receivers, etc for a while. Though I read the overall HT primer, is there anything similar specifically directed at the display device world? I'd like to get an overview of pros and cons or even just basic info on tube vs rear projection vs plasma. For example, I still carry lingering assumptions that front projection is a fuzzy mess but have seen some info that things have definitely changed! So - where can I get myself educated? Thanks -

Frank

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Are there particular questions you want answered?

It's sort of very complicated now, because of all the various technologies.

direct CRT
    plasma
    lcd panels
    Projection stuff:
    CRT
    DLP
    LCD
    LCOS
    DILA
    SXRD
    and then all the RP variations of those.
    And i'm probably forgetting some. [​IMG]

what are your goals, room limitations, prices, technical competence, computer competence(for HTPC if necessary), how PQ picky are you, etc. ?

3. Frank Moriarty

Frank Moriarty Auditioning

Oh, well hello again Chris!

My HT will be in a 12x12 foot square area, in a soon-to-be-finished basement of a newer construction house. The windows are very small so glare is not an issue whatsoever. So, I guess that pretty much leaves me available to utilize just about any technology (within, of course a budget, which for me is about $1500-2000 for a monitor). My immediate questions:

* What is the current story with front projection (kind of a general question, but you have to start somewhere!) I'm going to take a look at projectorcentral.com but I'm totally out of touch with this realm.

* A friend told me that when he recently shopped for a monitor, he was told that plasma screens can develop defects reflected by blue-white spots which can only be corrected by replacing the screen. For that reason, he opted for a Sony rear projection. Any comments on that?

At this early point, I've kind of identified the Toshiba 46H83 as a contender, to use as a baseline in comparisons. Thanks!

Frank