What's new

Is there a TV FAQ? (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I just moved into my new house and set up my HT. My present environment includes a VERY large room (22x18) that makes my present 27" direct view seem very inadequate and not up to snuff with my audio gear. Unfortunately, I know a lot about the audio side of this hobby but next to nothing about the video side. I was wondering if there was a TV FAQ out there that weighed in on the pros and cons of various display varieties so I can make an educated decision. With direct view, rear and front projections, DLP, LCD, Plasma, LCoS, etc. it's very easy to get confused and I would like to know the pros and cons of each type of set before I decide. I did a search and even scanned the HT primer thread and basics area and cannot seem to find what I am looking for. Thanks for any and all help.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That would be a great faq, I just completed all my own research on it, man does it get confusing with so many offerings these days.

Is room a dedicated HT room? If so give strong consideration these days to front projection.

If your room is not dedicated, I think the various DLP monitors have some of the best looks to them, in going out to brick amd mortor stores and looking at them.

Rear Projection still offers great bang for your buck though.

But your right, it is tough to educate oneself on HDTV in particular, as the sets and sources are all still very new. I also had a week video background but very strong audio background. There are things that concern me about what I chose to go with, things that only putting it in and setting it up, and using it will reveal the answers to.

I would also be very interested in an up to date faq on TV's, HDTV's, and HD Ready TV's / HDTV monitors and all the various display technologies and pre-display advances associated with them.

Heck this will be my first shot at component video even....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks