What's new

Is there a turntable FAQ? (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Anyone know of a good FAQ on turtables anywhere?

After a thread I had on Steve Hoffman's forum I've decided I want a turntable. I just want something basic that will sound ok. I've looked at possibly getting a MMF 2.1, but I need a phono stage too & I'm not sure I want to spend $350-$400 to listen to a few records. Are the cheaper Sony's (PS-LX250H) & Technics (SLBD20D) that bad?

Does anyone make something for the US like the Pro-Ject Debut/Phono with a phono stage included? I really like the idea on the Debut/Phono and it comes highly recommended, but the US distributor for Pro-Ject stuff (Sumiko) doesn't seem to offer that model in the US/Canada. At the cost of around $240 for an "high quality" begginer audiophile integrated solution it's really appealing.

Thanks

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I've seen FAQs on setting up your first turntable, haven't seen one on picking a turntable. What's your total budget? I don't know about Sonys, but Technics tables get praise in some circles. If you want a 1970s table, look for some of the Pioneer belt drive models, those are still considered good tables today by some people. I bought a PL-12D for $25 off eBay.

Radio Shack sells (or used to sell) a battery powered phono stage for $25. Search the archives of the Vinyl forum on www.audioasylum.com for "little rat" and you'll see some discussion on it. For its price, I think it's excellent, people have compared it to ~ $100 phono stages. Spend another $50 on NiMH batteries and a charger, and you're set. For a cartridge, I'd recommend spending $40 and getting Grado's least expensive cartridge, the Prestige Black. Again, simply amazing performance for the price. With those three components, you'll duplicate the setup I had and enjoyed for quite a while before moving into much more expensive territory.

I've seen Rotel and NAD phono stages on Audiogon and eBay for under $100, if that's within your budget.

Email me if you'd like to discuss this further, I don't visit this board as much as I used to.

BTW, while you're at Audio Asylum, check out the FAQ there, they have a section on vinyl, with technical stuff as well as stuff for beginners.

Hope that helps.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Music Hall phono stage that was around $100 from www.elusivedisc.com. It works great. It also accepts both MM and MC carts. I am currently running it with my MMF-5. I very good combo for a little over $500 for both.
Be forewarned though, it is easy to get into vinyl. I hardly ever turn on my cd player while at home now. And now I want to upgrade to a better turntable.

Good luck,
Dan

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I think it will depend on what you mean by a few albums. If by a few you mean 20 or less then any turntable may be a waste of time and effort. How often will you listen to them? What kind of lp's are they? Are they available on cd. At the lowend you will most likely here little diff between a decent cd and vinyl.;)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thanks gang. I think at this point I'm going just try and learn a bit more & wait until I can spend closer to $1,000 on one.

Sathyan

Second Unit
http://www.needledoctor.com/showitem...0&itemnum=1626

Project 1.2 'table
Sumiko phono box

add a Grado cartridge like Saurav mentioned and you're set (eventually you'll want a cleaning system like DiscWasher)

Project 1.2 is I think the minimum and to me sounded on par with the Rega P2. Vinylphiles make take offense at this but my reference is redbook CD. The Sub-$200 Sony, Technics, Denon and AudioTechnica (the Technics was BY FAR the best of the bunch) sounded substantially worse than CD (I had the audio shop record a reference CDR off an unaffordable VPI Scout / Audio Research pre using an HK CDR deck of the testing LP, Miles Davis Kind of Blue) in terms or clarity, constrained sound stage dynamics and 'table-induced noise.

The cheap tables also don't track well (not adjustable). I've been buying alot of less than pristine vinyl (at 25 cents an album) which play flawlessly (well except for a certain section in the Telarc / Kunzel 1812) on the 1.2 but the Technics couldn't reliably track.

Phono stage wise, the $25 Little Rat sounded as good as the Sumiko Phono Box or NAD Pre; the Recoton attracted too much RF interference. I thought the Parasound sounded better (clarity) but couldn't always DB identify it and it certainly wasn't $100 better. Didn't try higher ones: Rotel, Creek or Grado.

-Sathyan

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks gang. I think at this point I'm going just try and learn a bit more & wait until I can spend closer to $1,000 on one.
Hi Brian, I did see you over SH Forum, I hang out there most of the time since analog is where I spend most of my time. I think it will depend on your music preference
whether vinyl is a worthwhile investment. Personally, I enjoy 60's, 70's, 80's music as well as old time jazz so vinyl is all I listen to these days. If you enjoy a wide range of music, by all means save your money and get a decent rig to start off with.
I've been looking to replace my modded Rega P3 for over a year but have'nt as yet simply because it is a very good sounding deck and I will have to spend a lot more to hear substantial improvement so I'm taking my time. Consider a P3(retail $750 without cart.)if it's within your budget, you really can't go wrong with it. Good luck! :)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Well thanks all for the info. I was going to wait, but since Link Removed is 10 minutes for my office I stopped in to see if they had anything used.

I ended up leaving with a used Rega Planar 3 with a new RB300 arm & Ortofon OM 10 Super Cartridge. Paid $450 and feel I got a solid deal.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I think that's a really good deal. Interesting, because I've always thought Needle Doctor's prices were kinda high basd on what's posted on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks