What's new

Is there a site that lists CDs with CD Text? (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Is there a site that lists CDs with CD Text?

There must be a site out there somewhere that has a list of all the CDs with CD text.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've found unless its a Sony CD there's little to no chance its got CD-Text on it...which is why I always rip a copy of any CD that goes into the jukebox and give it CD-Text.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I thought I might be able to find a list on the Sony or Sony Music site but no luck.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
You know, with all the fuss about the record companies losing so much money to downloads, you would think they would give their customers this little added comfort, but nooo.... :thumbsdown:

I made some CD copies with Nero for the car, and it can automatically add the info from CDDB as CD-Text :emoji_thumbsup:

-Christian

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
You know, with all the fuss about the record companies losing so much money to downloads, you would think they would give their customers this little added comfort, but nooo....
I agree 100%.

It's such a small feature, and it's actually pretty handy in certain situations. It costs nothing to add it in, and yet the labels don't utilize it. Every CD should have CD-Text information, and every player on the market should support it.

Once again this shows that the labels and music industry are 20 years behind the market... as usual.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've often wondered why so few discs have this feature. I have 2000+ CDs and to the best of my recollection, less than 10 of them have CD text. The only solution that I can imagine is that Sony has some rights to this process and other studios would have to pay them royalties. Most of my mobile listening is via MP3 now, so this has less and less use for me, but as others have said this should be on every disc released - bar none!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Eric, check this out...
source

I wonder how true that quote is?????

...anyways, This is an interesting topic because I ran into something recently that was quite confusing and wanted to ask...

I had a rental car a few months back and when I put one of my CD's into the player, the radio displayed the song names on the display. My cars player only displays radio text and it won't show the names of my CD tracks.

Now I had to wonder, with this rental car (being a new car) did the radio have some sort of connection to CDDB and was downloading track names? I assumed that was the case, but then thought that would be an expensive add on...so maybe the CD had CD Text on it. Hmmm, I never knew that CD's had this. None of my cars CD players ever displayed track info and since I've always had an internet connection, I've never noticed if the track names were being pulled off CDDB or from the CD itself.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I use Roxio EZ Creator on all mine so when I put them in my Megachangers ; band , title & Songtitles all show up on the display

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
You know, with all the fuss about the record companies losing so much money to downloads, you would think they would give their customers this little added comfort, but nooo....
another :emoji_thumbsup:

Sacd/dvd-audio text trivia: while playing my RS500 sacd sampler in a Panasonic dvd-video player a couple years ago, after the disc loaded, on the monitor of this demo system the track and album name popped up on the screen! Nothing on the player's display itself though.

While playing my Linkin Park Reanimation dvd-audio on a Bose Lifestyle system last year (got to keep up with what "regular" people are buying :)), after it loaded "Linkin Park" and IIRC Reanimation showed up on the player's fluorescent display. And at a Target store while playing the Donald Fagen dvd-a The Nightfly on a little RCA stereo "executive" dvd system, that system also displayed the album title. I have never seen any other standalone or HTiB have this neat little feature, not even my $330 Pioneer dvd-audio player - weird.........and just a bit irritating.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just checked my CD (that displayed text on the rental car radio) and it's a SONY CD. So what do you look for on a car radio that identifies CD Text capabilities? I originally thought it was that RDS (I think those are the initials) where it pulls down the text from radio stations, but since my car radio does that, but does not display CD Text, it must be something else.

Is it just as simple as "CD Text Support/Capable"?? What do you look for?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There's actually a CD-Text logo, I don't think anyone uses it. You can fidn it on google. I think virtually any MP3 capable CD player will also do CD text. My portable does it nicely. It should be somewhere in the spec for the unit that it can display CD Text.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks