Is there a significant difference to warrant a "electrostatic and mechanical focus "?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John David Rage, May 29, 2001.

1. John David Rage

I'm interested in finding out peoples opinions from a before/after comparison. Was there a significant difference after performing the electrostatic and mechanical focus? How mutch of a difference, is it something noticeable? How would you discribe it, the difference that it made?

2. Matt Kasprzak

John,
    In my experience with a TW40X81, the difference was significant. The image was noticably more crisp and 3D in appearance.
    Matt

3. Tony Richardson

John,
    I recently did both on my Toshiba TW65H80 and the difference was amazing.
    I have had the set since 98 and have done all the usual adjustments and convergence to fine tune the set. But the best tweak I have ever done was trim and mechanical focus.
    It is really simple to do and you will be very happy with the results.

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

John;
    Any before/after comparisons will depend on how well the focus was done at the factory and whether or not it shifted from that point.
    Many times, when starting the focus procedure, it is often not apparent that anything needs to be done - the focus often looks fine. However, I have yet to see a set that didn't benefit from these adjustments in the end.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  6. Dan Crouthamel

For me, these two tweaks didn't make a hugh impact. I feel that the electrical and mechanical focus out of the box was OK. It probably made a small improvement, but not as much as thining the lines using the screen trimpots - that made the BIGGEST difference ... next -> convergence.
    dan