Is there a replacement for the Sony C555ES yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Oct 17, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I want a new dedicated cd player and I haven't heard about a replacement on the C555ES. Does anybody have any news on it? Will it be a significant improvement over the C555ES?
    Thanks,
    James

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, Sony has not yet announced a replacement for the 'C555ES. For now, the 'C555ES seems to still be available, at least through some dealers.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Here on the West Coast, the Good Guys still stocks it with retail price of $799. I listened to one today and the salesman said he expects Sony will soon discontinue since it's been out more than a year.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, given that the 'C555ES came out in April 2001, I figured Sony would have discontinued it by now. However, Sony still has not announced anything coming down the pike. I was hoping Sony would announce some new non-DVD SACD players at CEDIA, but we can now look forward to CES in January. Perhaps we will learn of new models then. I love the 'C555ES, but I would very much like to see Sony release a replacement as a show of support for SACD.

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Keith:

It seems a good guess that Sony is going to go the DVD-SACD combo player route in the future rather than sticking to dedicated SACD players. Maybe Sony is going to leave the SACD-only players to Marantz?

Regards

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I am afraid that could very well happen. The 'CE775 was discontinued months ago, and Sony did not replace it. Sony could discontinue its CD-only changers and offer a $200 SACD/CD changer (no DVD) through Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, etc., but no. Of course, it is unclear whether Sony will issue replacements for the 'C222ES or 'C555ES too.
    I have no idea what Sony is thinking. They continue to leave out SACD in key new players. For example, the DVP-NC650V SACD/DVD changer was discontinued a few months ago, and the current carousel DVD changers ('NC615 and 'NC655P) do not play SACDs. Likewise, the recently released CDP-CX355 and 'CX455 CD megachangers do not play SACDs. The forthcoming DVP-CX875P DVD megachanger will not play SACDs either. It seems to me that Sony is not committed to SACD. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. james e m

james e m Second Unit

After reading all this info, I'm not really sure what to do. I'm holding my breath for a 555ES replacement with mp3 playback capability. I do not want to buy a CD/SACD/DVD player. I'm trying to figure out if I should just bite the bullet and by the 555ES.
    James

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, if Sony does replace the 'C555ES with another ES model, I would be surprised if it offered MP3 CD playback. Sony has not yet included MP3 CD playback with any of its ES players, though a handful of non-ES components offer it. If you can, grab a 'C555ES. [​IMG]

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, I don't know what to believe. In a thread over at the steve hoffman forums, one poster hints that he knows about the upcoming Sony line http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...0&pagenumber=1:

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich, I don't know what to believe. I certainly don't have connections at Sony, unfortunately, so I can go by what I hear and read. I've talked to some dealers, and none have them have had any information on new SACD players from Sony.

Here is something that intrigued me. anthonyb on this forum started a thread about SACD players recently and said that his local Circuit City would not sell him the demo 'CE775. He said the salesman told him that they were expecting a new Sony model this week that would be used to demo SACD and that they would have to hold onto the 'CE775 until the new model was in the store. He was not able to get any specific information about the new model. So, maybe something is going on, but why would Sony be so hush-hush? I am wondering if Circuit City is merely getting in the DVP-NS755V DVD/SACD player.