Is there a region-free progressive dvd player that rivals the Panasonic RP91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

I can't find one, but thought someone might know of one.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

A lot of people have good things to say about the Malata - http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm
    I just got one, but I'm not using it with a progressive scan TV. It handles PAL to NTSC better than just about any other player I've heard of. Do a search on Malata here and you'll find some other very informative threads.
    Plus this thing is cheap, and it can do a lot. It may even do DVD-Audio, but I haven't been able to confirm that. I've asked about it in this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042986.html
    but haven't gotten any responses yet.

3. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

So, the Malata has anamorphic scaling like the RP91? Also, what does the RP91 have that the Malata doesn't, if anything?

4. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

5. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Great, Kevin. Now if I could just find out if the Malata does the anamorphic scaling thing, like the RP91, so I would never have to use TheaterWide 2 mode on my TW40X81 any more.

6. Kevin Coleman

Patrick,
    Yes it does. In-fact it is even better than the RP-91 in that respect. It will let you adjust the picture size pixel by pixel in x and y coordinates!
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

7. Keith Mickunas

Patrick, yes it does do the scaling thing. Look for some threads on here by Matt Stevens I believe it was, he did a full work up on the player.
    Kevin, do you know anything about when the firmware upgrade is supposed to be available? I just got my Malata yesterday and when I press Display on the remote, item 7 is for info on DVD-Audio. Does that mean I have the update, or were they just planning ahead?

8. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Great! Now, should I get the Region 0 default or the Region 1 default player? I'm assuming Region 1 since I'm in the US, but I thought I read something about only the Region 0 player's firmware being upgradeable. Which did you get, Kevin?

9. Keith Mickunas

I went with the Region 1, not having seen that about only the region 0 being upgradeable. The weird thing is that text is on avdeals.ca, nothing is mentioned about that on avdeals.com.

10. Kevin Coleman

Yes Keith I saw that on the display also. I bought the region 1 version. I am going to try to get a DVD-A disc tommorow and try it. Although I don't think it will work. What would I need to set the dcoder to in the Malata to try it? I received mine last Friday.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

11. Keith Mickunas

I don't know what to set for it. It may do it automatically, but I'm worried it may do the DD track and I won't be able to tell. I got mine yesterday. I'm wondering if they did the upgrade. Somewhere, on avsforum I think, I saw someone mention their's took a while to show because they had a backlog waiting for upgrades, or something like that. Could be they added it to ours at that time.

12. Chuck Blair

Chuck Blair Agent

The Malata will also do the anamorphic squeeze trick on 4X3 sets. My 7 year old 53" Sony now shows anamorphic titles in all their glory, both for PAL and NTSC discs. It takes about 16 clicks on the down arrow in the X Y scaling menu after setting the player to output to a 16X9 TV. It's like buying a DVD player and getting a new dual mode PAL/NTSC RPTV 16X9 set for free.

13. MaxY

MaxY Guest