Is there a Region 4 Widescreen Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I know that prior to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone being released on DVD, there was a lot of hoopla about the Reigon 4 DVD only being released in the Pan & Scan format. There was also a petition, which I listed on Widescreen Advocate. A while back I remeber reading a Harry Potter site that announced that it was eventually released in widescreen, but they did not provide any further details, or evidence to support the claim. I am in the midst of updating the web site, and I wanted to make a note that the petition has been successful, if that is the case. So far I have yet to find any hard eveidnce that a widescreen edition exists. I did find one online retailer, that claims to carry the said widescreen edition, but there is no widescreen banner on the cover art they provide, so I was wondering if you guys could help me discover the truth in this matter.

I found the "supposed" widescreen DVD at EzDVD

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Josh, out of curiosity why do you want it? If you want the "Philosopher" version just buy from Canada

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I don't want to buy it! [​IMG] I just want to know if it exists, so I can add a note to thevictories page that says the petition was succesful. So if there is a Harry Potter Region 4 DVD in widescreen, whether it be The Sorcerer's Stone, or The Philosipher's Stone, I'd like to know. If someone could provide a link to cover art with the widescreen banner on a Region 4 retailer site, or official specs, I would be most appreciative. this page

4. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Yes it's available. It seemed too little too late to me though, as anyone who was outraged by the P&S only release no doubt would have just imported from elsewhere.

5. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Warner bundled it with an unwanted s/t CD, called it a deluxe edition and charged an outrageously OTT $49.95 ($US33) for it. It was a victory, but it seemed somewhat phyrric.

Now, it seems to be OOP. [​IMG]

6. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Fellow aussie mates get "corrected widescreen" edition, the asians are still stuck with R3 fullscreen release of SOCERER STONE.