IS there a "reference" DVD-A ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mauricio_BR, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Mauricio_BR

Mauricio_BR Agent

Guys,

There are some "reference" dvds, for its picture and sound quality (like Eagles dts, 5th element and so on).

I would like to know if there is a DVD-A with such quality that can be considered a reference for equipment testing.

Can you help me ?

(in time, my player is a Pioneer dv-656)

Tks.

Mauricio

2. Clint Walker

Clint Walker Stunt Coordinator

Mauricio,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back with you. Coincidentally I was recently in Japan discussing DVD Audio at the World Press Conference.

Here are some excellent suggestions:

Faith Hill "Cry" -Warner Bros.

Sting "...Nothing like the sun" -DTS Entertainment

Queen "Night at the Opera" -DTS Entertainment

Alanis Morissette "under rug swept" -Maverik

I hear a DVD Audio entitled Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass, Bass & Bass while I was in Japan that is absolutely brilliant. I am currently trying to track down my notes on the artist.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Do you have any titles currently? What do you play as a reference?

3. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Hi There!

Great titles provided by Clint...

I'm also a big fan of the Steve Stevens: Flamenco A Go Go DVD-A. America: Homecoming is also very impressive given the vintage recording. Eagles: Hotel California is also a great DVD-A title.

But a truly uncanny experience - if you're into Stravinsky and/or orchestral music - is AIX Records' Stravinsky/Ravel: Firebird/Bolero DVD-A.

I recently reviewed it...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/revi...877&beenHere=1

...and it blew my mind - I had just attended a live orchestral concert and the AIX disc was as close to the real thing as I've heard. In fact, every AIX Records DVD-A release I've heard has impressed me.

Cheers,
    Felix

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Nightfly - Donald Fagen

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I don't have DVD-A capability, only SACD right now, but what I have heard on Audio Asylum confirms Rick's recommendation. From what I have heard, "Nightfly" by Donald Fagan is simply the best representation of what the DVD-A format can do. People simply rave about this disk.

6. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

The Nightfly is a great DVD-A, just note - the original recording was done on the veritable 3M multitrack digital machine at 16 bit, 50khz. Transfers to hi-res for the DVD-A were done to 24 bit 48khz using Apogee converters by engineer Roger Nichols. I guess you can say it was both upconverted *and* downsampled [​IMG]

As great as the Nightfly DVD-A sounds, it doesn't compare with the best that current technology can offer. As an example, compare Nightfly with 2 Against Nature (a true 24-bit, 96khz recording), and the difference is striking - particularly eveident in the horns (much thinner in Nightfly) and sidewall imaging (much more seamless and less discrete imaging in 2 Against Nature). Both mixes were done by Elliot Schiener, so it's a great comparison. My Nightfly review is here, FYI...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2902

My $.02,
    Felix

7. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Let me also toss in Buena Vista Social Club, and I also happen to like Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature."

8. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

Linkin Park- ReAnimation

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

That Linkin Park disc is pretty good.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

You'd probably get a better response if you moved this to the MUSIC forum...

I'm SACD-only, so I can't speak from experience about DVD-A titles, but I'm very surprised to see that no one's mentioned the AIX Nitty Gritty Dirt Band release. It's my understanding that this is the reference DVD-A release. There was an enormous thread about it in the music section, and I believe it swept a bunch of awards given out by whomever awards multichannel hi-res music releases.