What's new

Is there a receiver that connects wirelessly to a media server? (1 Viewer)

Edward Mann

Agent
I'm looking to put a small system in a bathroom and I have a Iomega media server that connects to all my computers and game systems currently. It is very convenient to keep all my mp3 files in one place and not have to worry about updating multiple places. Are there any receivers that can connect to a media server through a wireless router? I don't need anything to fancy, just the ability to play radio stations and mp3's.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If the radio stations you want do internet streaming, a product like the Logitech Squeezebox Boom would be a good bet. MSRP is $299. I saw that potentially they will have a slightly smaller product for about $180 in a few months. Both of these have built-in speakers.

All the Logitech Squeezebox products connect to a server via WiFi or LAN. They do require software to run on the server to serve up the music files and internet streams, but it's a great product. The server software is available for free on their website, so you can try before you buy.

Currently, I have the Squeezebox Classic, which has no speakers and works as a bridge from the server to the receiver in our main listening area. Booms, with the built-in speakers, are great for smaller rooms that may have less optimal acoustics or don't require critical listening.

Check it out, seriously. It's a great product line.

Jimmy Harmon

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about receivers, but I second the Squeezebox recommendation ... although like with anything computer based, it's not been completely trouble free ... it's been my best audio purchase ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks