Is there a petition for Disney Platinum?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Nov 5, 2001.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

how long do you think it took to make Snow White?
    I don't want a cruddy movie only version- I want a DEFINITIVE "platinum" release. The Lion King is my favorite Disney movie ever, and while it sucks to wait till 2004, I gladly will if this means it will be a sweet, sweet disk.
    Also, while the wait sucks, at least disney is now being clear and consitant about releaseing movies- no more "limited edition" runs and discontinued movies- except for the platinums of course. I for one am glad all non platinum titles are going to be in the gold collection, and will NOT be going out of print. It was really silly they way they would only release the good stuff for small amounts of time.
    I think disney's platinum collection is a good compromise, and the above post is getting a little whiny; sounds like someone is feeling entitled to unfettered access to whatever movies they want now; while i understand the sentiments (c'mon indy!!) , I don't think anyone has a right to get all indignant and start collectiong signatures.
    Besides, this isn't new. As I mentioned above, Disney has always artificially controlled the release of the crown jewels. At least they are being upfront with us now.

3. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    "I don't think anyone has a right to get all indignant and start collectiong signatures."
    What the hell? What country do YOU live in, pal? We as Americans have the right to petition anyone at any time for any reason we choose. Do you really need to deride others for having a point of view and being passionate about it? Let's not forget how effective past efforts by HTF members have been in terms of petitioning and voicing our opinions. If you disagree with a petition (or a potential petition), don't sign the damn thing.
    Indignant? Well, the thought of waiting for classics like CINDERELLA and BAMBI till 2010 certainly makes ME bristle. I'd sign such a petition in a heartbeat. And for the record, Disney is discontinuing more than just SNOW WHITE on January 31... PINOCCHIO, MULAN, and TARZAN (both versions) will also be pulled. Clearly Disney is still, in your own words, "artificially controlling" their films.

4. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I am expecting a child in February, needless to say that I have already started purchasing family movies that we can sit and watch and be entertained. So, you mean to tell me that some of these titles that I wanted before I was expecting a child most likely won't be released until she is 10 years old. Now, to me that is utterly ridiculous!! I can understand that if they have a policy that says that we (Disney) won't release this title after its initial release for 10 years, than that is something totally different. But some of these titles are sure money-makers. But, just remember everyone, that's what all of the big wheels get paid to do.
    Just thought I would add my two cents worth.
    RF

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I am pretty sure it was rumored somewhere that Mulan was being pulled to be re-released as a SE as was originally scheduled when the film first arrived. As for Tarzan being pulled that seems a bit strange. Hopefully there will be more news on these titles status in the near future.
    J

7. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I was under the impression that the titles to be pulled will soon be re-released in SE (mulan) or the new "regular" permanent gold (tarzan).
    If Disney is going to continue pulling things at will, then yeah, that definately removes some of the luster.
    and sure, anyone has the right to start a petition about whatever they want- that's a right we have, god bless the usa, and all that good stuff; It just seems to me that:
    a. some battles deserve fighting more than others do
    b. some people seem to find fault about anything. Shrek was an absolutely PERFECT dvd in most every way possible, and yet there have been maybe 6 or 7 threads regarding the damn sticker residue. (see my arguments about this in another thread)
    so, yeah. it's your call to get pissed and write/boycott/protest/hungerstrike about whatever you feel like. I really had hopes that Disney was going to end their release facism, with the "crown jewels" being the only ones going through this limited (and long) process. But at least Disney is forthcoming about the release of the treasures. That's much better than the ETA on Indy, SWs, and all of the other "crown jewels" that studios are holding back.
    Just don't get mad at me because I'm not going to join every angry lynch mob over every single issue; and i hope this isn't interpretted as a thread crap- I did outline why I was overall pleased with (what I thought, and still hope is) Disney's new direction.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Disney doesn't care. From what I could tell, it took the rights owner being presented with a huge honking petition to get them to put the Japanese track on Mononoke. Do you really think they'll bend when they own all the marbles? Nuh uh. And they'll say "it sells anyway", just like Warner with the Snapper, which will only go away when it becomes unprofitable (soon)
    Jeff Kleist

9. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

hehe. thats the other bit. there is always the chance disney could get hardup for cash and accellerate the rollout.

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Darryl W Harris Jr-
    While I sympathize. Do keep in mind that you
    will have BOTH Aladdin and
    The Lion King in your eager hands
    by the end of 2004.
    Some Platinum titles were already released
    in "bare bones" versions, The Jungle Book,
    The Little Mermaid,
    & 101 Dalmatians.
    So even at the rate their going, the only
    platinum listed films you cannot own on
    DVD will be out by 2007.
    -Mark

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

2007. Y'know, I'm okay with that, although it's a long time.
    Let's put this in perspective: We'll have the promised Star Wars DVD's a year before we have all 40 of the Disney "masterpiece" animated films.
    [​IMG]
    As I've said time and again in regard to Star Wars: there are PLENTY of great DVD's to watch while we're waiting.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

12. Daniel Schenk

Daniel Schenk Stunt Coordinator

I think Disney is releasing a lot lately with the Snow White Platinum Edition,then Dumbo and in December the Treasure Series Titles and in January we will have Tron and Atlantis and in March Hunchback and and and.... so i feel i can wait a year between the Platinum Titles. There is so much coming from Disney`s Animated Library. Oops,I forgot the Peter Pan SE in February!

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Disney knows that the Platinum titles are among the highest potential sales items in their catalog. Their release strategy counts on this fact so they will have one super high volume catalog title released before Christmas. a petition indicating that the public wants these titles would reinforce the foundation of their strategy. The only pressure they will feel on this issue is if major stockholders start complaining that they are not generating enough revenue from home video.
    Besides, aren't there really only 5 platinum titles that they have not released yet? Snow White, Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmatians, Lady & the Tramp, & Jungle Book are already out. If they stick to their guns, the remaining titles (Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Bambi, & Cinderella) will all be out by Fall 2006, not 2010.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on November 06, 2001 at 08:00 AM]

14. Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Is Peter Pan already out in Platinum?
    What's the difference between Platinum and the Limited edition?
    Where does the "Special Edition" fall into all of this (That's what the upcoming Peter Pan one is right?)
    And anyone know what's on the the "Disney Treasures" series that makes them treasures (or are they just hard-to-find or previously unreleased stuff?)

15. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Scott,
    I will try to give you an explanation, bear with me.
    9 Limited Editions: Pinocchio, Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book, 101, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Lion King 2, Hercules, and Peter Pan.
    These disc are now listed as no longer available. Also, these nine "Limited Editions" do not correlate with the release plans from here on out. Think of it as a completely seperate entity. The Gold/Platinum schedule was introduced after the Limited Edition schedule had run its course
    Platinum Edition titles: Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Bambi, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book, 101, and Little Mermaid.
    One per year, available for a limited time
    Gold Edition titles: All remaining Disney Animated Classics
    Distinguished by the gold stripe, supposedly not scheduled for moratorium.
    There are a few descrepencies though.
    1. Anniversary Editions (ie Bedknobs and Dumbo) the most likely explanation is that they are Gold Editions (hence the gold stripe).
    2. Peter Pan and other potential SEs (possibly Pocahontas and Mulan) it would seem to be Gold Editions. (The difference here is that if you are to forget about the Limited Edition Peter Pan, in the Gold/Platinum strategy Peter Pan is getting its first release.)
    The thing that you have to remember it that Disney is a business and has the right to change its release strategy at any time, but this is how it is going at the moment.
    -Chad
    As far as the "Disney Treasures" go, what makes them "special" is that they are scheduled for a limited pressing (150,000)

16. Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Chad,
    Thanks for the explaination. I have one more question:
    I am a fan of the "fully-packed" DVD (ala Snow White) so does that mean that the Gold Editions may or may not have a wealth of features? Are only the Platinum versions the titles that will get the "royal treatment"?
    I am always left wondering whether the buck stops with the DVD I buy or will I have to wait for a better version?
    (As much as I am looking forward to the Peter Pan Special edition, I'm kicking myself for recently buying the Limited One...)
    Also, I've seen strange Disney DVD on EBAY called "Walter Disney Presents http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1478870946
    Are these OOP releases? International versions? Bootlegs? Are there any differences in content than the Limited Releases? Any clarification and/or history would be appreciated...
    [Edited last by Scott Rogers on November 06, 2001 at 01:07 PM]
    [Edited last by Scott Rogers on November 06, 2001 at 01:08 PM]

17. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor