What's new

Is there a "perfect" DVD? (1 Viewer)

Sean-D

Agent
APOLLO 13 Collector's Edition
Available in separate Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1
*Widescreen Review among others consider it a reference quality disc and give it 5-stars for it's anamorphic widescreen transfer.(rare) They didn't find anything wrong with the picture at all. No edge enhancement problems, color bleeding or saturation, shadow detail, no chroma noise, accurate fleshtones, solid blacks,very sharp and detailed. It's rare to see one of there reviews where they can't find at least one nit to pick. I bought the DD version and I have to say they are absolutely right. (DTS version uses the same negative as the DD version, but you lose the supplements.)
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Perfection is unatainable...but I say the Toy Story UTB gets pretty darn close.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Blu

Screenwriter
I hope they haven't made the perfect DVD yet. Technology will always improve upon something eventually and it will always raise the bar. Gives us something to look forward to!

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I'm going to predict that Shrek will be the perfect DVD!
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Fight Club and Seven:SE are pretty damn sweet as well...
-Matt
(who does not have a Fincher/Pitt fetish...)

Darius

Grip
HD-DVD is the perfect DVD for me!!! *sigh* I'm willing to replace all my current LDs/DVD just to have HD-DVD in the next 2-3 years
smile.gif
(I've seen HDTV and after that, every damn dvd I watch seem lacking)
Until then, my vote goes to T2:UE

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I guess I'll chime back in here and give my personal opinions on the best DVD's I have...or at least my fave's as far as 3 key things go: Sound, Video, and Features/menus.
Toy Story UTB (I have the 2 pack, but the In-Laws have the UTB)
T2: UE
Gladiator
Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace
The Matrix
Snow White
Ben Hur
Die Hard Trilogy (The NEW ones)
I am seriously looking forward to the following discs:
Shrek
Pearl Harbor (the Director's Cut)
Final Fantasy: The Sprits Within
The Fast and the Furious
These are just my opinions. Please, nobody tell me how bad they think these discs/movies are. Sometimes, reading this forum ruins the experience for me a little. Instead of enjoying the movie, I'll be searching for artifacting or EE.
NOTE: I was mostly kidding in the above paragraph. Please, nobody take it personally.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

mark_d

Second Unit
The presentation of the movie itself is what's all important to me, so my perfect discs would include:
Blade
The Rock CC
Pitch Black
Fight Club
SPR
Three Kings
Superman
Krull I think deserves special mention, because an almost 20 year old fringe title has no right looking so good.
Mark

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I would like to cast another vote for TPM. This disc is nothing short of amazing. Too bad we have the LD doubters out there tainting this great disc. That THX trailer sets the tone for the movie very well..
------------------
PJ

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Disney's 2-disc Tarzan SE is pretty close. I remember someone complaining about lack of anamorphic and/or 5.1 on the trailers on disc two. There was also an inexplicable hue and cry about the lack of an LFE channel from those who could not comprehend mixing bass into the five full-range channels.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Perfect DVD:
Se7en
Fight Club
Gladiator
Toy Story: UTB
Enemy at the Gates
Snow White
Should be but not quite:
TPM: Can't give it perfect score because the sound and picture are better on the pod race portion of the deleted scenes. I compared the same scenes from the movie(ones reincorporated into the film) and the picture is better and the audio isn't half as loud.
Cast Away: Too much EE in some scenes. Presentation is key!!
Forrest Gump: Again too much EE. What's up with EE on Tom Hanks movies??
wink.gif

------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So far, the "big" Disney movies have better DVDs. We already talked about The Ultimate Toy Box, Tarzan looks and sounds great, and The Emperor's New Groove had some neat extras.
For some reason, animated films get better DVDs. Why? Because the video is not live, making it digital easier, the audio is created from scratch, and they usually are more creative.
TPM is a great DVD in every aspect. Dunno about perfect, haven't seen it all yet.
Shrek looks to be like they are just stuffing stuff into it. Final Fantasy stuffs stuff too, but its stuff more about the technology used for the film and pretty much acts like a documentary.
I wonder how the Lord of the Rings DVDs will be...

James Nguyen

Second Unit
all I can say is that 11 (!?!?!?!) hours of usused dialog and footage making its way onto the DVD of Shrek seems obscene and overkill. Perhaps I read this wrong somewhere?

James Nguyen

Second Unit
never mind....it's 11 hours of total footage, including deleted scenes, making ofs, documentaries, etc etc.
still, that's probably still more than I'd be ever willing to sit down and watch given how many other dvds I have still shrikwrapped and yet to watch.....especially for a movie I didn't particularly like a whole lot either.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My Avia DVD has reference quality audio and video....
tongue.gif

------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
On my 9" GE television and Aiwa surround boombox, HIGHLANDER has reference quality video and the most amazing sound I've ever heard. Link Removed

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
DVDs that genuinely come closest to perfection that I can think of:
Grand Illusion
Do The Right Thing (Criterion)
Rushmore (Criterion)
Toy Story: The Ultimate Box Set
Se7en: Platinum Series
As far as I can see, the above discs don't put a foot wrong anywhere.
They all have stunning transfers, fantastic sound replicating what was heard in the cinema, and special features that simply beg to be returned to again and again.
Definitive, all-round winners.
No to Fight Club, because the second disc is the epitome of quantity over quality, and the commentaries don't have the razor-preciseness of the four Se7en tracks.

Seung Kim

Agent
From my observation, Bug's Life Colletctor's Edition overall has better video and picture quality than Ultimate Toy Box.
I am anxiously waiting for Final Fantasy. Pure digital transfer should have the ultimate clarity in terms of video/audio quality.
Maybe Star Wars II eventually comes out in two decades or so will have a non-animation film "perfect" in video/audio quality. I think it's one of the first pure digitally filmed picture.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
my favorite DVD of all time is...
Brazil: Criterion Collection
...the only complaint one could come up with is that the picture is non-anamorphic (but very very nice non anamorphic)... 3 Discs of goodness dedicated to one great film, the first containing the Director's Cut... bucketloads of Extras on Disc two... and absolutely one of the worst films ever on Disc three (the TV, "Love Conquers All Version") that shows you how editing can change the entire tone of a movie. Commentaries all around (Discs 1 and 3), no fluff supplements, basically make up what I think is the perfect DVD. (Fin.)
Other Strong Competitors (Top 5)
1. Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box
2. Terminator 2: UE
3. Fight Club
4. Se7en: Platinum Series
5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks