Is there a "perfect" DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

With all the problems (real or imagined) with nearly every disc that gets released, can anyone tell me what DVD is closest to perfect?
    It seems that no one can put out a disc that doesn't have one flaw (Edge Enhancement) or another (bad sound mix).
    Any examples?
    I thought Snow White was pretty darn near perfect for a film created in 1937.
    And until reading all the reviews of TPM, I thought IT was close to perfect (although I could notice the EE in spots on my XBR 450.)
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Snow White isn't so perfect because there are some reports of player incompatibilities. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Besides A Bug's Life (which is digital), I don't know of one PERFECT transfer. I own several movies which I think are near perfect and good enough for me, but I'm sure one can find some "flaw" somewhere on them.

4. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

If someone were to release the Bible on DVD, I'm sure there would be a HTF'er out there to find something wrong with it.
    And there would be a J6P out there who would want Genesis and Revelations taken out.

5. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

I currently consider my Toy Story Ultimate Toybox pretty much the definitive DVDs out there right now---at least in my paltry (relative to the HTF crowd) collection of about 250 dvds or so.
    Excellent video quality (digital, so they've got a leg up on the competition here); excellent variety of vibrant, contrasting colors; an excellent variety of extra features ranging from commentary tracks, to TV spots, to details on side jokes; an excellent, excellent sounding audio mix, words can't begin to express how much I loved the soundtrack when I first heard it; and finally, the two movies are just great movies for all age groups, young and young at heart.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

Do you mean the John Travolta / Jamie Lee Curtis movie? http://us.imdb.com/Title?0089798
    All kidding aside, you will never find a "perfect" DVD. MPEG artifacts, Edge Enhancement, the generally poor quality of NTSC, etc. will always make for subjective opinions.
    Short of setting up a 35mm projection system, you will always be getting an approximation of the actual film.

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Another vote for the 'Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box', and a vote for 'Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace'.
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

8. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

IMO, a perfect DVD is one with reference picture and sound, and as many special features as possible, which are as rewatchable as the movie itself (very important).
    T2:UE is the closest I can think of - 3 ultra cool documentaries, comprehensive "Ultimate Supplement", and the coolest menus ever seen (audio&video not quite reference, though).
    The main problem with many DVD's are, that the supplemental material aren't actually rewatchable (not for me, at least)...
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

9. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I agree that a perfect DVD must be perfect in every way. The movie must be good, the menus must be creative and well designed, there must be many extras, the cover and case must look and function great, and then there are the technical aspects. So far, from what I hear, Final Fantasy is the perfect DVD, unless you don't like the movie. The video and audio are excellent, the menus are very cool, there are TONS of extras (including a Thriller video, you know the Michael Jackson one, featuring characters from the film), and I really liked the movie.
    Of course, I haven't seen the DVD and am just going on what I have heard. To tell the truth, no DVD is perfect, because you can always make it cheaper, and that makes it better.

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I can't remember a disc that didn't have at least one complained lobbed its way. Yes, people harped on Toy Story having no DTS, there's the numerous complaints about TPM so far. 'The Matrix' didn't have the trailers accessible to regular DVD players 'Gladiator' was too compressed, etc., ad nauseum.

12. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I don't know about you, but the DD track on The Ultimate Toy Box is so good, who cares about DTS? It's about as good as it gets.
    As for the question, no there will never be a perfect DVD because there are always people that will complain just to negative.
    [Edited last by Hubert on October 18, 2001 at 06:54 PM]

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, the perfect DVD is probably the one that has yet to be made. It starts out perfect, and then it only gets worse as it is being made. When was the last time you were dissatisfied with a blank DVD?

14. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

QUOTE: "Do you mean the John Travolta / Jamie Lee Curtis movie? http://us.imdb.com/Title?0089798 Jamie Lee in a leotard! [​IMG]
    Until Trading Places hits, this title would do! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 18, 2001 at 08:36 PM]

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    T-2 is almost perfect. It would be perfect if the trailers were anamorphic.
    The closest I've seen is Disney's Fantasia box set...of course, they just had to fuck it up (pardon my French) by censoring Fantasia and not making a composite voice track for Deems Taylor. The content is top-notch, but points off for Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom being non-anamorphic.
    I agree that the Toy Story box set is perfect. I haven't seen it, but what do you have to lose if it's a digital-to-digital transfer?

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think the Toy Story UTB is as perfect as we have now but I expect Shrek to outdo it.

18. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

I agree with those who mentioned the Toy Story box set. However, I just bought and viewed the Star Wars Episode I DVD and I must say it comes pretty damn close to perfect.
    I would also like to mention Ghostbusters as a possible contender.

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cast Away.
    As far as T2:UE, I always the the video transfer wasn't as sharp as it should have been (even though it was good) for a "perfect DVD."
    [Edited last by Dave H on October 18, 2001 at 11:35 PM]

20. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Cast Away is a great disc, but the features were pretty vanilla. PR rehash dressed up is still PR rehash. Nice Disc overall though.
    I have Final Fantasy, and I must say, it is probably the best disc I own. Flawless (really) transfer, amazing sound (better than Fight Club, even TPM), and extras that are entertaining, informative, and that take advantage of the interactivity of the DVD format. None ofit is PR fluff either. Plus, great menus.
    Oh, and I quite liked the movie. I don't really understand all the complaints levelled at the screenplay. It was very similar in tone to Princess Mononoke and Akira, among other anime series/films. I bet if it was a traditionally animated piece, in Japanese, from Miyazaki, everyone would sing its praises.
    ------------------
    Joel
    [email protected]
    "I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
    digitallyOBSESSED