What's new

Is there a need for the Flash animated intro? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hello,
I had never entered the forum via the Flash web page, since I have bandwidth issues at home (then again, who doesn't? :))
I thought this would re-skin the entire web page with some kind of flash animation, but I noticed it was just a spiffy intro.
I was wondering, wouldn't it be faster and nicer not to have the choice? Meaning, do you think we could do without the Flash intro altogether?
I was a big fan of Flash intros, then I realized that, while they look great, surfing without them is usually much faster.
What do you think? :)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wouldn't exactly be crying if the flash intro was done away with either. I even have broadband, and I never, ever, ever enter using the flash page. It's just a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. That, and it makes annoying sounds.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
You do have the option of choosing the "Non-Flash" version.

I've never used the Flash intro (other than trying it once) myself, but perhaps some people like it.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I figured out adding the main page to my favorites was a faster way to browse the site. I was thinking maybe there was something extra when you selected the "Flash" intro.

Thanks!

Jason GT

Second Unit
I just had to resurrect this thread (and I used the search function before posting a new thread -- go me! :D)
Yes, I was going to question the need for a flash intro, too, as I always bypass it. Also, it's kind of annoying because it's faster to hit ctrl+o, www.hometheaterforum.com than to use a mouse :)
Anyways, a practical consideration -- wouldn't removing the flash intro save a bit of bandwidth? Not only would you not have to burn the bandwidth of transfering the flash intro, but you also save the bandwidth of the first page itself.
Just a thought... I really do love this site though. It's a terrific resource and has wasted a lot of my time in the past few weeks!

MarcVH

Second Unit
I will confess, every time I see the "friendly" message about "The server is too heavily loaded," I ask myself whether limiting fluff and emphasizing content might allow for greater capacities to be served.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
My .02, I have never gone in with the flash intro and I skip them on any websites that give me this option.

And hey, if cutting it can help with bandwidth and latency for the server, maybe you should consider it.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

Cutting out the flash intro, which is easily bypassed in the first place, would do nothing for our bandwidth issues or any latency. These problems are related to the amount of traffic that we get on the site.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks