Is there a max length for a sub cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I am experimenting where my sub will sound best in my room. One possibility is in a corner on the opposite side of the room from my stereo. In order to get a cable to it I would need ~25 ft-is that too long of a cable? Also, I have 2 high quality 12ft rca cables laying around-can I buy a male-to-male rca adapter & use them together as my "long" sub cable. The sub is a HSU VTF-2. Thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It has been said that long runs degrade high frequencies.
    Not a problem with a sub.
    Also, it is said that the interconnects should be the longer portion of the run if locating a speaker far from the source, rather than the amplified speaker wire. In your case, it's all interconnect, so it sounds ok to me.
    I once ran 25 feet of 12/2 speaker wire from my amp to the SV sub with no problems, no obvious distortion. I also tried a 3m interconnect plus 15 feet of wire, no difference.
    I wasn't looking for anything by doing this, really, just trying different setups.
    Chime in if you run into problems..
    Good Luck!
    - CM
    [​IMG]

3. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

When I purchased my SVS, I knew that I wanted to experiment with different placement within the room, and to have enough cable, ultimately, to reach the corner of the room near the listening position, while running the cable through the basement. So I purchased a 3m and a 12m (meter) Silver Serpent along with my 20-39PC. When first installed directly behind the TV (and easily reachable by a 3 foot (1m) cable, I experimented and tried a 1m, 3m, and 12m interconnect, taking SPL measurements and listening for any audible differences while holding the output constant during each trial. I found no audible difference. Now my SVS resides beside the couch, at the end of a 12m long run of Silver Serpent interconnect, and it works great.

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

My sub is in a rear corner of the room connected to my receiver by a 60' lenghth (due to the way the cable was routed to keep it hidden) of coaxial cable with F-type to RCA adapters on the ends....works great.

Vin

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    25' is not a long run at all. I have a 40' run to my sub at the front of the room (equipment is at back of room). I agree with using coax with F-RCA adaptors for ultra long runs because a custom cable of that length would have to have a mortgage set up for it. Plus the end result is good.

6. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Neil: 12m = 39 feet and small change.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The 25' is in response to Ted Ross.

Thanks

8. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Thanks for the excellent replies guys!