What's new

Is there a lot of SD Widescreen programming? (1 Viewer)

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Someone asked me yesterday what shows were in widescreen now, but not in HD. I could only think of ER and The Sopranos offhand. Can anyone tell of any other shows that are routinely widescreen? I think he was looking to explain to his wife why buying a widescreen TV was better even if they don't have HD yet, or not watching DVDs all the time.

Thanks!

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Soprano's (Band of Brothers also) are actually in HDTV. But the west wing are in Widescreen but currently not in HD. There are also a number of PBS shows that are in Widescreen but not HD. BBC is in Widescreen I believe.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
ER, West Wing, and Enterprise are actually letterboxed inside a 4:3 frame, which means you will have to use the zoom function on your TV to make it fill the 16:9 screen. Only FOX and PBS have true widescreen SDTV shows, but you need a digital receiver to see them.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Queer as Folk and Stargate SG-1 on Showtime all have anamorphic widescreen on the HD channel, but they are upconverts from SD. QAF is repeated in Tuesday in widescreen, and I believe Stargate is repeated on Showtime Beyond in widescreen.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
a college basketball game on cbs[i forgot which one]will be shown in widescreen even on the sd broadcast

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Tomorrow's game on CBS: Michigan State vs Ohio State.

It will be shot in HDTV and then downconverted in 16/9 LBX for regular broadcast. Hopefully, they'll be doing this with all their sports for now on. This way, you don't need seperate production trucks. One truck, one feed.

Hopefully, they'll be able to do a game of the week in HD next year for NFL. Wishful thinking though.

I'd be surprised if next year's NFL play-offs weren't in HD on CBS. They seem to be starting to do the HD without sponsors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks