Is there a list somewhere that has all THX movies?? . . .

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rod Melotte, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

I found one but it's out of date and would be interested in finding an up to date THX list.

Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Rod Melotte

Nope - not up to date. Missing Tombstone! Man - you would THINK they would not be falling behind!

thanks - it's a help.

4. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Are you talking about THX certified DVDs?

Why would anyone care?

Unless of course, you wanted to know if a title had been overly filtered to get rid of grain resulting in a picture lacking in detail that looks worse than the 4x3 lbxed original (Heathers) or you wanted to know if copious amounts of "ringing" were present in the picture (Phantom Menace) or if you wanted to know if a transfer wasn't OAR (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) of if you wanted to know if a widescreen transfer wasn't anamorphic (Titanic and Abyss) or....

-dave

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Hm... I always felt better about my dvd's when I saw (and heard) the THX logo.
    Heck, I loved my R2 dvd's too untill I heard of pall-speedup. (Love 'em still, I might be exagurating a little. I do think about it nowadays and try to avoid it whenever I can.)
    I'm new on this forum and already a lot of bubbles have been burst. And I thank you people for it [​IMG]
    Toughest one: The Next Generation. R1 of R2. Speedup vs crappy packaging....

8. Rod Melotte

As a matter of fact I love overly filtered films, most films have way to much detail.

I see someone has issues!

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Sorry for the sarcasm. It's just that THX really ticks me off (for the explicated reasons I mentioned, among others).

10. Horatio Jones

Horatio Jones Stunt Coordinator

david, you better watch out buster you are now on thin ice [​IMG] keep it up and you'll find yourself in the corner with a time out LOL

11. Rod Melotte

Well - I tried to ask a real question about THX in another thread but was rebuffed because DaViD alread brought the subject up and THAT thread was closed before anybody could answer.

This thread is about a list of TXH movies and I thought I'd keep it that way but . . . .

SO - my question is NOW.

What's wrong with TXH. Can you further explain the process and why it's views (by some) as a negative?

12. Horatio Jones

Horatio Jones Stunt Coordinator

well, while THX technically approves the master I guess I can't really fault THX when say Highlander was released as a THX approved disc which was just horrible in terms of audio and video quality.
    I guess I kinda look at THX on the heardware side as utterly useless. Basically its a way to pay exta dollars to have the THX "DSP" mode and a nice logo.
    On the software side like I said they approve the transfew not the finished product, but your average consumer is not going to realize that. For the most part, THX approved discs are good, some are great, but for me I'd buy them only for the trailer [​IMG] LOL

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Highlander doesn't count because it was released (like the first Twister DVD) bearing the THX logo without THX's consent.

There really is no consistent answer...even from THX about what they do. This is why they tick me off so much...they promote themselves as this great company and your "average" consumer sees their logo and gets all excited. Yet, IMO, they do a disservice to the videophile/audiophile by certifying discs that they should not.

On the one hand you're right...if you ask them if they are about certifying the finished disc they'll say "no" and talk about how they really are in the job of certifying the transfer.

But that's not exactly correct either, as when DVD replaced laserdisc, THX talked about how they would have to "change" their certification process to reflect DVD's new issues like MPEG2 compression. That sounds like a post-transfer issue if you ask me.

Also, in regards to sound, they are really into the idea of a 5.1 -> 2.0 downmix (performed in the DVD player for stereo/prologic only systems) sounding as good as it can. If they don't think the prologic mix-down sounds good, they'll *alter* (compromise) the original 5.1 mix to make it sound better if a discrete 2.0 mix can't be included. This has been suggested as one reason why DTS mixes may sound better sometimes...they aren't being dumbed-down for 2.0 mix-down concerns.

I don't know about you but I want my 5.1 to be left alone...and I felt that way even when I was not 5.1 equipped. Oh, the reason I mention this is because this again sounds like a post-transfer issue.

Also, if you talk to THX, they'll tell you that they'll certify as much of the process as the studio will invite them to do...including many post-transfer processes. But since there's no consistency from disc to disc or studio to studio they can't propose that this is representative of their certification process in general.

Bottom line. When I put a THX DVD in to play, a THX logo comes up on my screen in big letters. There's a THX logo on the DVD cover. No where does it say "this logo only stands to certify that the film-to-tape transfer was supervised and/or approved by THX, not any subsequent audio/video processing or mastering". If THX wants to be honest and up front about what their certification stands for then it should say so. Otherwise, the implication is that their logo does indeed refer to the finished disc's image and sound quality.

-dave