1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a list somewhere of p&s only titles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickL, Feb 4, 2002.

1. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

I'm looking for a list of titles released non-OAR in R1. Does a resource like this exist anywhere?

2. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Im not flaming you but why would you want this?

3. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Matthew, I'd want it to know what NOT to buy in R1. I know to look twice at early Warners discs, and to double-check family titles. But every once in a while I still get a dull surprise. I could really use a resource that tells me all the R1 discs out there stinking up the joint that are not OAR, especially if it specifies definitively which are p&s and which are open-matte. (I'm no fan of open-matte, but I want to know what's what in comparison to LDs and other region discs)

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

AH! I get it now.
    Wish I could help more though. If I find one I will post it though.
    [​IMG]

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Here's a list that I can put together:

BUENA VISTA

Air Bud, Air Bud 2, George of the Jungle, Goofy Movie, Homeward Bound

COLUMBIA/TRI-STAR

Baby Geniuses, Elmo in Grouchland, Godzilla & Mothra/King Ghidorah, Karate Kid, Matilda, My Girl, New Adv of Pippi Longstocking, Princess Caraboo, Thomas & the Magic Railroad

MGM/UA

All Dogs Go To Heaven, Child's Play, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dark Half, Delta Force, Eye for an Eye, Getting Even With Dad, Honeymoon in Vegas, Molly, Moonstruck SE, Mr. Mom, Pebble & the Penguin, Pumpkinhead, Secret of Nimh, Warriors of Virtue

UNIVERSAL

Affliction, Babe, Balto, Beethoven, Brighton Beach Memoirs, Death Becomes Her, Dr. Giggles, Fierce Creatures, Happy Gilmore, Jerk, Kindergarten Cop, Land Before Time, Leave it to Beaver, Lionheart, Paper, Parenthood, Problem Child, Sea Of Love, Shadow, Sting, Sudden Death, Timecop, Twins, White Palace

WARNER

Ace Ventura, Action Jackson, Arthur, Bodyguard, Boiling Point, Bridges of Madison County, Caddyshack 2, Candidate, Chariots of Fire, Christmas Story, Clean & Sober, Doc Hollywood, Driving Miss Daisy, Eyes Wide Shut, Fair Game, Fearless, Final Analysis, Forever Young, Frantic, Full Metal Jacket, Funny Farm, Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Old Men, Guilty By Suspicion, Her Alibi, Hooper, Innocent Blood, Kickboxer, Lean On Me, Made In America, Man With Two Brains, Michael, MVP: Most Valuable Primate, My Blue Heaven, My Fellow Americans, My Left Foot,National Lampoons Vacation, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, Next Of Kin, Nothing But Trouble, Pokemon: The First Movie, Pokemon: The Movie 2000, Pokemon 3: The Movie, Police Academy, Postman Always Rings Twice, Private Benjamin, Protocol, Purple Rain, Q&A, Rock-A-Doodle, Running On Empty, Sharkys Machine, Shining, Showdown In Little Tokyo, Space Jam, Spies Like Us, Stand & Deliver, Star 80, Stealing Home, Stoker Ace, Vegas Vacation, Vision Quest, With Honors, Wrongfully Accused

6. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

Hi Patrick! Try this Link. I hope this helps?
    DaveJJ[​IMG]Have Fun Guys!

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    One list has "Hans Christen Anderson" listed as P&S.

It's not. It was made in 1952 when the only widescreen film made that year was This Is Cinerama.

8. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Perry, your list and the DVD Review link that Dave provided make me extremely sad. [​IMG] There are so many great films on those lists that deserve to be released in their original aspect ratio.
    After my girlfriend made the mistake of purchasing My Blue Heaven and Caddyshack in P&S I told her she was not allowed to choose any more DVDs without checking with me first. It probably seems harsh to some but buying these titles only teaches the studios that it is okay to release these butchered and bastardized versions of the director's original vision.

9. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Thanks for the list, Perry. And Dave, thanks for the link. You both saved me from making a few mistakes in the future.

I'm especially stunned about Moonstruck, and Affliction. Because I assumed they were OAR, those had both been on my want list, but no more.

10. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to defend a couple dvds:
    The Shining and Full Metal Jacket (along with all, I think, Kubrick movies) are not pan and scan. They are presented in "the full aspect ratio of the original camera negative as Stanley Kubrick intended". Although they are not widescreen/anamorpic, they are also not cropped. Actually you get "added" picture on the top and bottom.
    One of many annoying things about p&s presentation is that the characters appear too large or "zoomed". The opposite is true with these dvds. They have kinda a "far off" look to them. If you have a wide screen set, and you want to view these movies how they appeared in the theater, just use "zoom" mode. The picture quality is good enough that they still look pretty good. Incidently, the transfer for The Shining is prestine. Full Metal Jacket is pretty good as well. D.D. 5.1 tracks on both aren't bad either.
    To me, these are both A+, must have, movies and I would reccomend the dvds. Just make sure that the top of the case reads "Stanley Kubrick Collection, digitally restored and remastered". There are older copies out there, and I don't know about their quality.
    Next up for me is A Clockwork Orange.
    [​IMG]

11. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

And add Eyes Wide Shut to Shining and Full Metal Jacket. The arguments about these can go on forever, and I certainly don't want to crank them up *again*, but at the very least these are special cases and shouldn't be lumped in with titles where widescreen was dismissed out-of-hand through laziness or misdirected marketing.
    Just using the term OAR with regard to these three films can cause flame wars.
    Ryan
    PS - I think you can add Cannonball Run II to the Warner list. Just wanted to mention Kubrick and Cannonball Run II in the same post. [​IMG]

12. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Artisan's Traveller can also be added to the list.