What's new

Is there a list of Non-anamorphic DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is there a list of what Non-anamorphic DVD's exist?
I assume that currently, there are almost no non-anamorphic DVD's being released and as time goes on, there will be fewer and hopefully none. It would make sense I think. I was just wondering if there is a list here or elsewhere of "non- anamorphic" DVD's out there. It would be interesting to see which DVD's are non and which are true anamorphic.
thanks
:)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, but a general rule of thumb:

Anything from Fox pre-May 1999 (and it was hit or miss till spring 2000)

Anything from Disney/Miramax/Touchstone pre-Fall 1999

There's a block of Paramount titles, Top Gun, Star Trek 5,6,7, some others

New Line, Columbia, and Warner, if it's widescreen it's pretty much across the board anamorphic

MGM is totally hit or miss on pre-mid 2000 titles. Newer titles tended to be anamorphic, anything pre 1993-4 was almost without fail an LD rehash

Anything from Criterion pre-early 2000 (I think)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OK, so most of the DVD's I own should technically be anamorphic then. So when buying new DVD's, I should be ok most of the time, but older titles may still be non-anamoprhic? Tough. It would be neat to have a list.
Thanks for the info :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else know of any lists of non-anamorphic DVD's? Are there any current DVD's that are available for sale right now that are non-anamorphic? Or have they changed all current pressings to anamorphic?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
It says on the back of the box when you purchase it, you know.

A few are mis-labeled, but not very many.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks