What's new

Is there a guide that shows suggested speaker distances for DD? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Is there a guide out there (from the DD or DTS folks?) that shows the suggested distances b/t speakers, placement, etc?

What I've done in the past is make the front L/R equidistant from the center and tried to keep the fronts of all 3 front speakers on the same plane. I.E. "straight across."

Surrounds were placed about 3-4 feet above my ear level in the seated position, about 2 feet behind me.

I always wondered if I got it right? :confused:

*edit*
DARN. Wrong forum! I thought I put this under "Tweaking." :b Mods, please move. :)

Alex F.

Second Unit
You've positioned your surrounds in excellent fashion assuming those loudspeakers are monopoles or bipoles (dipoles, on the other hand, should be located directly to the sides of one's ears).

Ideally, the three front speakers should be in a semicircular format. That will place them approximately equidistant from the sweetspot. Putting them all on the same plane actually places the center speaker closer to you than the mains.

Of course, room layout often limits speaker positioning choices, so if the three front speakers must be located on the same plane, you can electronically "reposition" the center speaker. Just tell your processor (or DVD player, if applicable) that the center speaker is at a different distance than it actually is by changing the distance parameter in the setup menu.

I haven't looked in quite awhile, but Dolby.com probably still offers speaker positioning tips.

Happy listening!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys! Yeah, I messed up with the center speaker. :b

I guess I forgot about the semi-circle thing. Easily fixable though.

AFA the surrounds go, what about quadrapoles? I just bought a pair of Axiom QS8s which have four drivers all firing in-phase. Same as bipoles, right?

Thanks for the tips and the linkage.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
According to the speaker placement page (consistent with what I have read in the past) the 'rears' are supposed to be beside you pointing at each other. Am I reading this right? So positioning the rears a few feet behind would be incorrect except for es/ex. If I am not mistaken? Although I haven't done this yet I too am struggling with speaker position in a new room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks