What's new

Is there a good website to get basic info on TV formats and options (1 Viewer)

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to buy a new tv but I don't know much about all
the different formats "aspect ratio" numbers of scan lines
and all that stuff.:frowning:
Does anyone know of a website with some good articles
and basic info to get me started:)
Thanks
Robert

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to buy a new tv but I don't know much about all the different formats "aspect ratio" numbers of scan lines
Are you looking to buy a direct view tv (for example, a 32"), a rear projection tv, or another type? Are you looking to buy an HDTV or an analog set? In general, don't get hung up on scan lines as a determinant in buying a tv. AFAIK, there is no standardized calculation of scan lines, so manufacturers manipulate them to their favor. In terms of aspect ratio, you have traditional 4:3, and widescreen 16:9. The following website can compare 16:9 widescreen tv's to 4:3 traditional tv's--http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi.

Simply put, a traditional tv will give you a bigger picture with normal cable tv, while a widescreen tv will give you a bigger picture with widescreen DVD's, HDTV, etc. You can feel free to explain what you are looking for on this site, and people will be happy to chime in with suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks