What's new

Is There A Good Sony LD Player? (1 Viewer)

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I have been browsing Ebay for a second LD player, with Pioneers at the top of the list. I currently own a Sony MDP 455 which is Ok but not great. I just don't want to pass up on a good player simply because I want a Pioneer first. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brett, I don't portend to be the laserdisc expert, but from what I have already read, the Sony units are not as reliable as the Pioneer models. I would go with a Pioneer player if you can. I once owned the Pioneer CLD-D406, which was their last straight LD/CD player. It was a budget model and was quite good. If you can find one on eBay, it shouldn't be too expensive. I bought mine new in July 2000 for $425.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's auto flip.
Any CLD-D is "dual" side play.
There are exceptions, like some Elite's, etc. don't come as CLD-D, but flip anyway.
Check out the archived primer in the basics area if you haven't. Good info on models.
- C

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brent, as Colin said, the 'D406 has what Pioneer calls "Both-Side Play". As Pioneer's last straight LD/CD player, which was manufactured into 1999 or 2000, the 'D406 has most features you would want. It does not have an S-video output, but many people use composite video and their display's line doubler for laserdisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks