Is There A Good Sony LD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentPollard, Jul 4, 2002.

1. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have been browsing Ebay for a second LD player, with Pioneers at the top of the list. I currently own a Sony MDP 455 which is Ok but not great. I just don't want to pass up on a good player simply because I want a Pioneer first. [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brett, I don't portend to be the laserdisc expert, but from what I have already read, the Sony units are not as reliable as the Pioneer models. I would go with a Pioneer player if you can. I once owned the Pioneer CLD-D406, which was their last straight LD/CD player. It was a budget model and was quite good. If you can find one on eBay, it shouldn't be too expensive. I bought mine new in July 2000 for $425.

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Keith, is the 406 an auto flip? There is one on ebay right now but not much info.[​IMG]

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Yes, it's auto flip.
    Any CLD-D is "dual" side play.
    There are exceptions, like some Elite's, etc. don't come as CLD-D, but flip anyway.
    Check out the archived primer in the basics area if you haven't. Good info on models.
    - C

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brent, as Colin said, the 'D406 has what Pioneer calls "Both-Side Play". As Pioneer's last straight LD/CD player, which was manufactured into 1999 or 2000, the 'D406 has most features you would want. It does not have an S-video output, but many people use composite video and their display's line doubler for laserdisc.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor