What's new

Is there a good/easy way to paint CDROM's? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Well, I finally got my dream system! It is going to be for case mod tryout stuff. It is a no name comp that has a 75 MHZ Pentium proc, 32 megs of ram, 8x cd rom, an 800 MB HD, and is running Windows 95. It is a speed demon!! Anyway, I plan on painting the case and I want to have the whole front the same color. Is there a good, safe, easy way of painting the face of the CD ROM? It looks to me like there would be a chance of the paint getting inside and messing up the laser and stuff. Thanks for all your input!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Use vinyl dye.
Most auto part stores have VHT vinyl dye (if not, it's like $8 on summitracing.com). I used their Link Removed on a drive, and it turned out great.
The face of the drive should be removable with tabs- don't paint the faceplate while it's connected to the drive! Remove the front plates, you can spray dye the faceplate and drive tray front, and then brush on for the button.
-Vince

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Vince is correct. Check this site for some examples:
Link Removed
I've never personally used the stuff, but it looks great.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I haven't really looked into the whole CD ROM thing very closly yet. I thought there was surely a way to paint it w/o having the face attatched, but I didn't know how. Thanks again.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The *Best* way to paint any ABS Plastic Component (Like a
CD Drive Face Plate) is with Base Coat, Clear Coat Laquer
or a base coat Arcrylic Enamel.

You simply remove the drive from the machine and then you
snap the CD Door and Face Plate off, Thoroughly prep and
clean the components,paint let dry and then reassemble.

Another good paint to use is Pactra RC Car Body Paints
which are quick drying Laquers intended for ABS,Lexan and
Plexi. Available at most Hobby Shops.

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
well, because I'm getting ready to move, I won't have an opportunity to try any of it out for a while.

also, the case is just a one piece of metal (remember...its an old one...)anyhow, is there a way/technique that is better for cutting a one piece case than another?

Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks