What's new

Is there a front projector kit (projector,screen etc) under $2000 that's worth it? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Can I get a pront projection set up under $2000 (preferably under $1500) including screen to get a decent picture equivalent of an RPTV even if I have to keep the screen at it's smallest? Size is not important. I can project at 40" to 50" if need be, no need for monster 100" plus. I just want good PQ. My living room would benefit from the space of not adding a 50" RPTV and am not going to spring for DLP just for a slimmer casing.

so?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Canadian or american?

I love my Benq 6100, and others love the X1, but you'll have a harder time finding the x1 now.

Make the screen any size you want, just go to Projector Central and check the "throws" of each projector out. My 6100 would be a long throw projector, from around 12'6" at maximum zoom I can get an 85" diagonal image.

B

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
One of the forum sponsors, not sure which one, has an Infocus 4805 DLP porjector and 92" Da-Lite screen for $1500, a heck of a deal, you're pretty much getting the screen for free.

In your space though you might be a good candidate for EDTV Plasma. Best Buy also just started carrying a Zennith 44" LCD RPTV for $2300, but w/ the 10% coupon from the deals section of the forum it would be just above your $2000 limit and probably more apropriate for your space than a projector. I wouldn't go w/ a projector unless you go 70" or bigger. You're trading off brightness for screen size, so why do it if you're not going to use the screen size capability? There are other space saving options in your price range.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the recommendation for the Infocus 4805. I am one of many owners who have been extremely pleased with the purchase.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The other option is a CRT FP, which can be had cheaply. This is the only way that you will equal the picture of a CRT-based RPTV (because it's the same thing really). The drawback is that you need to learn a bit about them to set them up well, but that just takes some time.

The entry digitals will be big, but IMO not a great picture in comparison to a CRT-based RPTV or FP. I like a big picture, so I would probably suck it up and go with a FP over an RPTV, even if it were a digital FP, but CRT is worth the hassle if you are serious about your video quality.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think the size of his room is already a killer, so a CRT would be like an elephant in the corner. Exactly how big is your room and how large is your max distance from your viewing area to where you would place your display or screen? This would really help in our suggestions.

Another issue to consider against RPTV is the limited screen size. For under $2000 you can comfortably get a 92" wide screen image. I think the largest RPTV you can get for that money would be 42" (maybe 50" for a cheap brand ~ READ: don't buy it).

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well it is a double room, one of those Dining room, living room side by side.

The Living room area is about (roughly) 13' by 11'. so max with my back against the wall the TV would be against the wall 11' in front of me. realistically though as I will be on the couch, I will be 9' from the wall.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For a room that size I wouldn't go larger than 60". In that size range and price range I would look into some of the tabletop 46" 16:9 CRT RPTVs at under $1500 or some of the 42" EDTV Plasmas at around $2000 depending on which style and size you like better. The 44" Zennith LCD RPTV I pointed out earlier would also be a good choice (thinner than CRT RPTV w/ same high resolution but not as thin as plasma). It would be around $300 higher than your budget but might be the best compromize of screen size, footprint, and picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks