is there a dvd player that can play hdtv dvd's?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by erinK, Jan 15, 2005.

1. erinK

erinK Auditioning

Jan 12, 2005
    I was looking at the "plasma window dvds" for a screensaver for my plasma. I read this article and I wondered if it was accurate. I currently have a denon 2910. From plasma window... HDTV Requirements:
    There are no DVD players on the
    market today that can play a true High
    Definition DVD. There are several DVD players on the market that upconvert standard DVDs to near High Definition quality. While the picture quality is much better from these upconverting DVD players, it's still not a TRUE High Definition signal.

So how did Plasma Window™ create a TRUE High Definition DVD? We use the revolutionary Windows Media Player 9 technology. To use our HD-DVDs you MUST have a computer connected to your High Def TV. This is often referred to as a Home Theater PC or HTPC.

Plasma Window™ offers each DVD in two different resolution formats.
    Our Enhanced Definition ( EDTV ) DVDs are created in 480p format (720x480 progressive scan) and are designed to play in ALL DVD players.

Our High Definition ( HDTV ) DVDs are created in 720p format (1280x720) and require an HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer) connected to your Plasma/LCD via the DVI or VGA (RGB) port. The minimum processor requirements are a 2.6GHz desktop/laptop computer with Windows Media Player 9 installed with Windows XP operating system.

Our HDTV DVDs will NOT play in standard DVD players and it's important that you select the correct format before ordering.

If you have a DVD player that upconverts the signal to 720p or 1080i, you must purchase the EDTV version.

Confused? Your best bet is to order the EDTV DVD which will play in any DVD player.

© 2005 Plasma Window™
    Is this true? Thanks
  2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002

I have no reason to know whether or not they are lying, but I certainly assume they are right about their product. WMV HD content is currently available in HD form. There was a DVD player that was capable of playing WMV HD material, but I do not think it is available in the US. In any case, yes WMV HD provides native HD source material, and most everyone using WMV HD material is using an HTPC.

No you cannot play WMV HD material in any way on a normal DVD player. Most movies that contain WMV HD versions have them on a second disc. The first disc is the regular DVD format the second DVD disc contains the WM files.

For more info: